The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
w-inds
Cook rice with the rice cooker. Cook your veg and meat on top of the rice in the rice cooker SORTED :cool:

Never used a rice cooker before... can you cook other food in a rice cooker??! Sounds interesting...

Lunty
Find the local supermarket / takeaway as you suggested is the way to go!

Kay, thanks :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Flozza_X
Never used a rice cooker before... can you cook other food in a rice cooker??! Sounds interesting...

Indeed. Though you cannot place food in the rice cooker itself, it must be placed on a steam tray that is placed on top of the rice cooker. Then the food will be cooked by steam from the boiling water that is cooking the rice.

Or you could just fry everything... screw steam. The only thing steam is good for is turbines.
I thought I read somewhere that rice cookers aren't allowed in halls? That's awesome if they are
Reply 43
Fixesin
Indeed. Though you cannot place food in the rice cooker itself, it must be placed on a steam tray that is placed on top of the rice cooker. Then the food will be cooked by steam from the boiling water that is cooking the rice.

Or you could just fry everything... screw steam. The only thing steam is good for is turbines.

Oh that's really cool! Shall have to try that...!! Will save energy and calories :wink:

Blatant Troll
I thought I read somewhere that rice cookers aren't allowed in halls? That's awesome if they are

I'm sure one will turn up with all the Asians at Imperial :p:
Reply 44
Blatant Troll

Nope, in fact, no electrical appliances are allowed in the rooms. :wink:
Reply 45
Kitchens and rooms are different. It is fine to use a rice cooker in the kitchen.

In my first year, I think I steamed most of my food (fish, pork, beef, vegetables..). If you wait until your rice is about 75% done, I found it is ok to put other stuff in to steam without using a tray.
studyboy
Nope, in fact, no electrical appliances are allowed in the rooms. :wink:

Literally none? What about things like hairdryers, alarm clocks, lamps etc...

(oh, and computers :rolleyes:)
Reply 47
LadyJaneGrey

Oh silly me! Sorry for the blunder! Yes, hairdryers, alarm clocks, lamps are fine! :o: We were told not to have kettles, rice cookers, microwaves and etc in our rooms that is all.
studyboy
Oh silly me! Sorry for the blunder! Yes, hairdryers, alarm clocks, lamps are fine! :o: We were told not to have kettles, rice cookers, microwaves and etc in our rooms that is all.

So as long as we use them in the kitchen and not in the bedroom, bringing a rice cooker to halls is fine. Cheers for the heads up.

Also, to the geniuses that suggested steaming their shizzle on top of the rice cooker - I might give that a bash :p:
Haha, I'm bringing a mini rice cooker my dad bought my from HK last year :wink:

I've written down a 'to pack' list already and like 80% is clothes :/
Reply 50
I remember reading somewhere in the contract that hair straighteners weren't allowed. I thought 'Damn, I can't bring my GHDs :sad:'
sunspoon
I remember reading somewhere in the contract that hair straighteners weren't allowed. I thought 'Damn, I can't bring my GHDs :sad:'

Serious?! How do they know if you have a pair or not anyway? Cos you could sneak them in? And if they do room checks, you could stow them away somewhere, surely?

Oh well, at least that means I can take another pair of shoes instead of straighteners haha.
Reply 52
lostphotobooth
Serious?! How do they know if you have a pair or not anyway? Cos you could sneak them in? And if they do room checks, you could stow them away somewhere, surely?

Oh well, at least that means I can take another pair of shoes instead of straighteners haha.

Lol but then again, neither are extension plugs but everyone has one.
Reply 53
sunspoon

i'm more surprised that you use hair straighteners...
Reply 54
Fixesin
i'm more surprised that you use hair straighteners...

I was joking ... my hair is naturally straight and I don't want to curl my hair :smile:
Reply 55
sunspoon
I was joking ... my hair is naturally straight and I don't want to curl my hair :smile:

Ah ok. Good....
Reply 56
LadyJaneGrey

You have to bring your own renewable energy source because there is an emphasis on reducing your carbon footprint. Otherwise you are banned forthwith from using any electrical appliances.
Reply 57
sunspoon
Lol but then again, neither are extension plugs but everyone has one.

:p: Oh yes! They are a must!
sunspoon
You have to bring your own renewable energy source because there is an emphasis on reducing your carbon footprint. Otherwise you are banned forthwith from using any electrical appliances.

Eh?! I can't just pack a mini wind turbine with me?! Oh, do we have to bring our own lightbulbs too?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I don't exactly know what you mean by 'own renewable energy source'? :s
Reply 59
lostphotobooth
Eh?! I can't just pack a mini wind turbine with me?! Oh, do we have to bring our own lightbulbs too?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I don't exactly know what you mean by 'own renewable energy source'? :s

:woo:

Please try to put more thought into this!!

Candles may solve your light bulb problem...

Latest

Trending

Trending