The Student Room Group

Bullet points

I was wondering if it is acceptable to give your answers in bullet point form, as I would have thought it would be easier for the examiner to mark. Obviously I wouldn't for the 'wordy' subjects like english, geog, history, but is it OK for sciency subjects/DT etc? My physics teacher recommended it, yet on a biology mark scheme I saw this:

Edexcel
Make sure that the answer makes sense. Do not give credit for correct words/phrases which are put together in a meaningless manner. Answers must be in the correct scientific context.

Anyone with advice/Anyone who has done GCSEs already and used bullet points???

Thanks, S.C
For science bullet points are fine unless there is a notepad next to the question showing a mark for quality of writing.
Reply 2
I was told to only use bullet points if you're running out of time. Hope that helps... hmmm! =)
Reply 3
My business teachers said i could, but chemistry teacher said no...im all confuzzled
Reply 4
Yeah, Bullet point form is best I think because if theres 4 marks to a question then you know you have to make 4 points, might as well be bullet points I don't think it makes much of difference. Unless as said befor they're giving you a mark for a properly worded answer.
Reply 5
But you use bullet point generally to make separate points, but in exams you need to make links between those points, that what you get marks for.
Reply 6
ok then cheers dudes :cool:
Reply 7
for some question they're ok but for making links I'll just write a paragraph
Reply 8
I wouldn't write in bullet points no matter what subject it is. Try to write it in an essay form.
Reply 9
Yeah, as tempting as it it to go for ye old bullet points, stick with paragraphing. I mean, it really isn't that hard is it? In Science, you usually get the marks for "correct English" as long as you use capital letters, linking words, and full stops! Seriously, it's not hard. Well it hasn't been in the past anyway. :smile: If you are running out of time though - they are the best solution to get all your 'points' (lol) down.
Reply 10
Try not to, wherever possible - all my teachers have said it'll only give the examiner the impression that you're lazy and/or don't have enough to talk about. If you must, then use *full* sentences in them; bullet points don't necessarily mean the sentence doesn't make sense. Never use them in a Humanities subject, but Design is more lenient on that sort of thing...
Reply 11
Owing to the fact my chemistry teacher is ill and/or is slightly incompetent when it comes to time management, I had a chemistry revision day last Friday with one of the chemistry teachers at my school who happens to be an examiner (of some description for our exam board).

In any case, he recommended using bullet points but ensuring that answers were written in full sentences.

One example he gave us was literally one sentence split into three sections with bullet points attached to the front. To be honest, I couldn't really see the point of it since it was only once sentence but he was adamant that examiners liked it since your points really stood out. (He also recommended diagrams to assist with explanation in questions that don't have marks allocated for presentation or order or whatever it is they give marks for.)

I intend on writing in full sentences in most of my exams but I haven't a problem with scrawling down a few bullet points at the end of an answer if, God forbid, I run out of time. Better than nothing, right?
Reply 12
If it says "give your answer in good English" then NEVER use bullet points!
Reply 13
We've been told to never write in bullet points, as it generally doesn't give a good impression - and your gonna need to impress the examiners! write in paragraphs - theres normally a sentence on the front of the paper telling you to write in clear, full sentences, so whatever you do don't just write single words/short phrases.
Having said all that, im sure it varys from board to board - but stick to paragraphs to be on the safe side.
Good luck
Reply 14
ali p
We've been told to never write in bullet points, as it generally doesn't give a good impression - and your gonna need to impress the examiners! write in paragraphs - theres normally a sentence on the front of the paper telling you to write in clear, full sentences, so whatever you do don't just write single words/short phrases.
Having said all that, im sure it varys from board to board - but stick to paragraphs to be on the safe side.
Good luck

thats exactly what my teachers say. what i do is that i do list of bullet points on the side in pencil, write out the paragraphs, then rub out the list.
My science teachers say it's fine to write in bullets and you're more likely to remember to put enough info in for the marks, write faster etc. I don't think it's bad at all. For English and history, of course, bullets are a no no...
Reply 16
No Future
My science teachers say it's fine to write in bullets and you're more likely to remember to put enough info in for the marks, write faster etc. I don't think it's bad at all. For English and history, of course, bullets are a no no...

For some science questions its alright to use bullets, but for some it isnt,

Latest