The Student Room Group

taking pill for the first time

Hi ive just gone on the pill for the first time.

Today i started my periods and so had to take the first tablet, my period started this morning though but i wasnt home so didnt have my pills with me, but i have just taken it now at 15.00 this afternoon.

Idealy though i would like to take the pill in the morning everyday at about 9.00, will it matter if i take my next one then and take it at 9 everyday after that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think you are supposed to start taking the pill when your period starts, I think you're supposed to take it when it ends. But yeah sure whatever your doctor says.

With the regular pill you can take each pill within a 12 hour gap. It's best to take it regularly, but if you start taking it at 9 from tomorrow onwards and keep it pretty much regular then you'll be fine :smile:
no, you shouldn't have a problem at all.
dont forget to use protection for the first two weeks :p:
that should be fine (: i did the same thing, try and take it within the same 3hr timeframe after tomorrow if you can because then it will be most effective.
Emily069
I don't think you are supposed to start taking the pill when your period starts, I think you're supposed to take it when it ends. But yeah sure whatever your doctor says.

With the regular pill you can take each pill within a 12 hour gap. It's best to take it regularly, but if you start taking it at 9 from tomorrow onwards and keep it pretty much regular then you'll be fine :smile:

My doctor suggested taking it the day of the period. Something about the hormones I think!

I think it will be fine to take it at 9, just make sure you do it every day.
A few hours earlier shouldn't be any problem at all. It's taking it late (but only by like 12 hours) which can prevent it from working.
Emily069

When you're starting on the pill for the first time, you take it on the first day of your period (this is true for Microgynon anyway).

OP, you'll be fine taking it at 9am from now on :smile:
Reply 7
inksplodge
My doctor suggested taking it the day of the period. Something about the hormones I think!

Oh right, makes sense!

I miss the pill :frown:
Emily069
Oh right, makes sense!

I miss the pill :frown:

Aww! I couldn't live without mine. I like knowing exactly when I'll get my period, rather than a rough idea. :tongue: Why aren't you taking it any more, out of curiosity?
Reply 9
i've just re-started the pill, and i've read that you need to leave 7 days before it's effective as contraception. How true is this? Is this just to be on the safe side or are you actually likely to get pregnant in the first seven days?
Reply 10
smilee172
i've just re-started the pill, and i've read that you need to leave 7 days before it's effective as contraception. How true is this? Is this just to be on the safe side or are you actually likely to get pregnant in the first seven days?

True if you take it on any day other than the first day of your period. If you DO take it on your first day, it should be affective from then onwards.

OP, that should be fine, just stick to the 9am routine as closely as possible from tomorrow onwards and all should be good and well!
Reply 11
great thanks so much for your help people :smile:, so will it be effectibe straight away an no need to use condoms?, i no im still going to get paranoid though and want to use condoms lol
Reply 12
inksplodge
Aww! I couldn't live without mine. I like knowing exactly when I'll get my period, rather than a rough idea. :tongue: Why aren't you taking it any more, out of curiosity?

It started giving me migraines (well, it made them worse, along with oranges and stress)

I'm going to the doctors this week to see if I can go back on a different one though, cause I came off it in Feb and still haven't had a period (can't be good) :mad:
Lucyyy
True if you take it on any day other than the first day of your period. If you DO take it on your first day, it should be affective from then onwards.

OP, that should be fine, just stick to the 9am routine as closely as possible from tomorrow onwards and all should be good and well!

damn, that sucks. thanks :smile:
Reply 14
chp89
great thanks so much for your help people :smile:, so will it be effectibe straight away an no need to use condoms?, i no im still going to get paranoid though and want to use condoms lol

no you will still need to use condoms for at least your first cycle. read the leaflet/info in your pill pack to check but with most pills this is the case.
however, once you're comfortably 2-3 cycles into it, then when you take the break of 7 days (if that's what your pill involves) then you are usually still protected so no need for jonnys.

BUT always check your own pill information as there are billions of different ones out there :smile:
Emily069
It started giving me migraines (well, it made them worse, along with oranges and stress)

I'm going to the doctors this week to see if I can go back on a different one though, cause I came off it in Feb and still haven't had a period (can't be good) :mad:

Which one were you on before? :smile: No, I don't think that's a good thing at all!
when you first start the pill you take it teh first day of your period so you did that right. The other times after this though you have a 7 day break between packs. When taking it on teh day of your period you are protected. It doesnt matter waht time of day you take it aslong as its everyday an you dont miss a pill, you can take a pill up to 12 hours late and it will still be effective. I take my pill at diffrent times everyday and ive had no problems.

Remember though if youre sick or have diahhareh then the pill becomes less effective so use another form of protection for a week. My dr told me it should be okay though if youve taken your pill up to 5 hours before your sick as it will have entered your bloodstream already.
ilovewaffles
no, you shouldn't have a problem at all.
dont forget to use protection for the first two weeks :p:

why ? I didn't....the pill protects you, since you take it from the day you got your period, which means the new egg can't develop at all.
inksplodge

Yeah, according to the contraceptive artical, its meant to give instant protection if you start it the day your period starts.

but you can start it at any point of your cycle but then won't be instantly protected.

Don't quote me on this though, this is just what I've read that others have said xx
Reply 19
inksplodge
Which one were you on before? :smile: No, I don't think that's a good thing at all!

I was on femodene before which I think is a really really strong one...

Latest