The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Change of field to medicine. A levels required, where can I take them?

Hi, im about to enter my third year of computer science at Durham.
I want to continue and finish the course, but then take a change of field to a graduate student medicine course.
Now, I don't have either biology or chemistry at A level, so I'm thinking of doing these along side of my degree to improve my chances.
Does anyone know whether there are A-Level courses run by the university, or whether I need to apply to a fixth form?
Or if there are any evening courses run near by?

And no, I'm not going insane because I'm in durham by myself right now, I've been thinking about this for a while :p:
Reply 1
eggman
Hi, im about to enter my third year of computer science at Durham.
I want to continue and finish the course, but then take a change of field to a graduate student medicine course.
Now, I don't have either biology or chemistry at A level, so I'm thinking of doing these along side of my degree to improve my chances.
Does anyone know whether there are A-Level courses run by the university, or whether I need to apply to a fixth form?
Or if there are any evening courses run near by?

And no, I'm not going insane because I'm in durham by myself right now, I've been thinking about this for a while :p:

If you're doing an A-level then surely the place to be would be at one of the 6th form colleges nearby? However, I'm not sure that there are many that could teach you nan A-level in a year in the evenings, nor would I recommend it on top of finalist workload.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12

this is a useful resource.

Graduate medicine as in 4 year courses are VERY competitive but standard 5/6 year courses do welcome graduates.

Possibly look at doing Medicine with foundation. I think Durham may possibly offer this, you could try contacting them as a starting point.

What A-levels did you do?
Reply 3
I did my A Levels at New College in Framwellgate Moor (It's just past Dryburn Hospital). It's not as schooly as some of the other sixth forms so it might be fairly simple to do fit in around the rest of your degree. Although I agree that a foundation course might be best, especially if you are already quite sciency.

Latest