The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

irisng
Hehe yes yes it's pronounced Iris - my username is basically my full name: Iris Ng :biggrin:

Yeh I've added you as well now :smile: Yeh I shouldn't be online so much! - I'm probably not gonna come online at all next week - exam week! :eek: :redface:

Hehe Art and Music are cool - love listening to good music. Sometimes wish I could compose or play - but when I used to take lessons for piano I could never be bothered to practice :redface: Don't love it enough. So I quitted after grade3 :biggrin: What do you play? Yeh I've always thought I'd go into Art or some humanities - certainly never thought I'd go into science! - think it started changing from GCSE :redface: My Chem teacher got me really enjoying Chemistry, so taking it at A-Level wasn't so bad when before, it was like: No way. And since I've always liked Biology taking that wasn't too bad either - and I took both sciences to help me get into Psychology, cus I used to think of it as a science :p: None of my family could've guessed I'd be going into straight science, sometimes I still ask myself if I'm mad! :eek: :biggrin:

Footlights :biggrin: Never been in it, but that was where I waited for my ex to turn out in a "meeting" that turned into a date :biggrin: at Grafton Centre. I think I only really call my ex my "ex" because he's on TSR and I'm not sure I want members talking! - I have posted his name before in the Notts subforum, but I know almost everyone there! Yeh more and more I think of him as a friend now :smile: I've considered dropping the word "ex" and just calling him by name whenever I talk about him :biggrin: or say "a friend" or something. Funny I got thinking about him again recently and I remembered how much I liked him :redface: and there was this soft spot for him still. Lol! Asked myself stuff like why did I kiss him :biggrin: and reasons all came back as this glowing feel of affection :p: I still care for him loads, but totally over him now :biggrin:

Ooooh your ex's got engaged? :biggrin: Congrats! Hope you get invited - would the bride be jealous though? :wink: Lol! Are you good friends with him? :smile:

its my exam week this week to but its also my last week. woooo hoooo!!!

i sooo wish i could compose to. i play the tuba. lol. most people dont see me as a tuba person so they are suprised most of the time. lol. ive done my grade six but i dont think i will go any further.

so science kinda slowly crept in your mind....lol. thats kewl.

he is actually on tsr!? thats kewl. i dont know anyone from this site. are u guys still friends?

his fiancee is my friend as well so she doesn mind at all. we are all in one big group. we are friends but not that close. more of fightin mate where we just insult eachother 24/7. lol. for a joke though.
ecapes
Hi

My roomie is Japanese. Japanese rock!!!!

EMILY

lol. glad to know you feel that way :wink:
I. Love. Sushi. :smile:
Reply 63
Ooh anime! Haha lots of fond memories of growing up with it in Hong Kong. From the classics like Minky Momo to Rurouni Kenshin... good times, good times. Been a fan for some 12 years already. Anyone here know of Cowboy Bebop?

And YES I fully agree with SsEe, Megumi Hayashibara does rock.
xBeLLax
I. Love. Sushi. :smile:

mmmm me toooo, but i dont often come across sushi that actually taste like real sushi in england. lol.
leigh787
Ooh anime! Haha lots of fond memories of growing up with it in Hong Kong. From the classics like Minky Momo to Rurouni Kenshin... good times, good times. Been a fan for some 12 years already. Anyone here know of Cowboy Bebop?

And YES I fully agree with SsEe, Megumi Hayashibara does rock.

i have heard of it but ive never seen it. what is it about?
Reply 66
Oh it's this amazing series that's set in the future which effortlessly blends jazz music and the blues into animation. I was prejudiced against this series simply because I felt the name was rather lame, but once I actually got around to watching it-- I just couldn't stop! The graphics/animation are superb and watching it is like giong on a scavenger hunt because the creators sneaked so much real-life references into the background-- from Lara Croft to Woody Allen to Days of Our Lives ( :eek: ) to Bruce Lee...

It's a frequent name on otakus' "Top 5 Anime of All Time" list and I can see why. It's an impressive mix of philosophy, action, old westerns, film noir, and Asian action movies. You wouldnt' think it would work, but it does.

I can't possibly describe it eloquently enough, but here's an excerpt by Fisherguy on IMDb:
It's a 26 episode series that redefines what animation is and what it can do. The character developement is beyond comparison and the voice acting is unforgettable. If you see only one anime in your life, make it this one.
If there's one word I could use to describe it, it would be... class. Sheer. class.
wow im japanese and i havent even seen it. lol. i might have to look into it but first i have to finish my exams! argh!
Reply 68
Haha good luck with the exams! Think you'll like the series. I just stood transfixed with my spoon halfway into a cup of yoghurt as they played the last scene. Never seen anything like it.
i wonder what its called in japanese...??
Reply 70
Cowboy Bebop is one of my all time favourite animes, it kicks ass! Spike is a really good hero character, and I really like Ed too! The movie, Knockin on Heaven's Door is really good too. I think Cowboy Bebop is what it is called in Japanese too, Im pretty sure its written in katakana if I can remember right.... BTW check this out for info on the film http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/cowboybebop/
Reply 71
Yeah it's simply written in katakana - go check it out! Also, since we're on the subject of good websites, check out the episode guide at The Jazz Messengers for a spoiler-free picture of how the sessions/episodes are like. Haha Tidasquall I agree! At first I was thinking, a green spongehead for a hero? But Spike grows on you, and Ed is instantly lovable! And the session that spoofed the movie Alien (#11 Toys in the Attic) was hilarious!
Reply 72
Hey there! Recently, I watched a Japanese drama on TV called 'Beauty or Beast' (Bijo ka Yajuu in Japanese) and found it v. interesting, meaningful and heartwarming as the story developed. Has anyone watched it before?

See http://www.jdorama.com/drama.618.htm

What especially caught my interest was that the main female character (obviously a career woman) was a graduate of Tokyo University (School of Law) and the drama had a scene shot at the law school when main female character was there for a social event. Apparently, it is the most prestigious university in Japan which has produced many Japanese ministers in government and admission into this university almost guarantees attractive jobs upon graduation.
Reply 73
flaminchocolate
its my exam week this week to but its also my last week. woooo hoooo!!!

i sooo wish i could compose to. i play the tuba. lol. most people dont see me as a tuba person so they are suprised most of the time. lol. ive done my grade six but i dont think i will go any further.

so science kinda slowly crept in your mind....lol. thats kewl.

he is actually on tsr!? thats kewl. i dont know anyone from this site. are u guys still friends?

his fiancee is my friend as well so she doesn mind at all. we are all in one big group. we are friends but not that close. more of fightin mate where we just insult eachother 24/7. lol. for a joke though.

Cooool that sounds cool that all three of you are friends :smile:

Lol yep my ex is on TSR - in fact I met him on TSR :p: Never exchanged photos before we met - we just *met* - was a bit freaky cus my head told me: this is (name) I know this guy - and my instincts said: ARGH strange tall guy in the middle of the night! - I don't know this person! :biggrin: I couldn't get over how strange it was til like half an hour later. Quite daring of me to meet a guy who's older and taller than me, whom I don't even know the looks of, at night, behind my parents back, on my own :rolleyes: hmmmmmmm! He was actually half the reason why I stayed on TSR and wanted to go Cambridge uni so desperately at the time :biggrin: cus I had first found TSR some time in June and wasn't gonna stay - just registered to post now and again, then went crazy about Cambridge, found the Cambridge subforum, and ended up crazy about the guy on there :p: so obviously - more of an incentive to keep coming back to TSR. Obviously now I stay cus I like TSR and I know too many people to leave really :biggrin: Not got anything to do with my ex anymore lol!

But anyway yeh we're still friends :smile: I sent him his birthday present only a few days ago, and emailed him on his birthday - think he had a good time :smile: I definitely wanna see him again some time - not sure when that can be though - but yeh it would be nice :smile: I still have a soft spot for him really, but I don't fancy him anymore :p:

Btw what's the tuba...? :confused: Why won't you carry on after grade 6? You should! You've come so far now anyway, might as well get your grade 8! :biggrin:

Yeh had my first exam today - Biology - if all goes well I should be looking at at least a B :p: so it should be ok! - Got 3 more exams and then it's over wooooooo!! :marchmell When's your last one? How did it all go? :smile:

Yep science just sorta crept into my mind :biggrin: like a little goblin :p: and now it's stuck there eeek! Hehe - ahh science is ok - I dunno - as much as I wish I had dropped Bio and Chem - especially Chemistry - I can't imagine not studying it either. Just can't imagine *not knowing* everything that I know now - and to think I'll never find out more - I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me. Just can't imagine myself *without* science.

BUT - Art and writing is still the ones that clings to my heart most :redface: :love: To simply think what if I couldn't draw, or write - I can't imagine that. Art and English are more part of who I am :smile: and science is more like a fascinating interest, if you know what I mean :p: but it's Art and writing I really can never do without - it's like as glad as I am that I dropped Eng Lit after AS - I still aren't sure that I shouldn't have carried it on :redface:

Heh don't even know what I'm on about - I don't wanna do without any of them. (Remember Joey from Friends, who can't choose between food and girls? :biggrin: "I want girls on bread" :p: ) Sorta like that, but Arts and Science :biggrin:
*Argh* the little science goblin is stuck it won't come out! But never in a million years would I ever think I'd do a science degree! :biggrin:
irisng
Cooool that sounds cool that all three of you are friends :smile:

Lol yep my ex is on TSR - in fact I met him on TSR :p: Never exchanged photos before we met - we just *met* - was a bit freaky cus my head told me: this is (name) I know this guy - and my instincts said: ARGH strange tall guy in the middle of the night! - I don't know this person! :biggrin: I couldn't get over how strange it was til like half an hour later. Quite daring of me to meet a guy who's older and taller than me, whom I don't even know the looks of, at night, behind my parents back, on my own :rolleyes: hmmmmmmm! He was actually half the reason why I stayed on TSR and wanted to go Cambridge uni so desperately at the time :biggrin: cus I had first found TSR some time in June and wasn't gonna stay - just registered to post now and again, then went crazy about Cambridge, found the Cambridge subforum, and ended up crazy about the guy on there :p: so obviously - more of an incentive to keep coming back to TSR. Obviously now I stay cus I like TSR and I know too many people to leave really :biggrin: Not got anything to do with my ex anymore lol!

But anyway yeh we're still friends :smile: I sent him his birthday present only a few days ago, and emailed him on his birthday - think he had a good time :smile: I definitely wanna see him again some time - not sure when that can be though - but yeh it would be nice :smile: I still have a soft spot for him really, but I don't fancy him anymore :p:

Btw what's the tuba...? :confused: Why won't you carry on after grade 6? You should! You've come so far now anyway, might as well get your grade 8! :biggrin:

Yeh had my first exam today - Biology - if all goes well I should be looking at at least a B :p: so it should be ok! - Got 3 more exams and then it's over wooooooo!! :marchmell When's your last one? How did it all go? :smile:

Yep science just sorta crept into my mind :biggrin: like a little goblin :p: and now it's stuck there eeek! Hehe - ahh science is ok - I dunno - as much as I wish I had dropped Bio and Chem - especially Chemistry - I can't imagine not studying it either. Just can't imagine *not knowing* everything that I know now - and to think I'll never find out more - I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me. Just can't imagine myself *without* science.

BUT - Art and writing is still the ones that clings to my heart most :redface: :love: To simply think what if I couldn't draw, or write - I can't imagine that. Art and English are more part of who I am :smile: and science is more like a fascinating interest, if you know what I mean :p: but it's Art and writing I really can never do without - it's like as glad as I am that I dropped Eng Lit after AS - I still aren't sure that I shouldn't have carried it on :redface:

Heh don't even know what I'm on about - I don't wanna do without any of them. (Remember Joey from Friends, who can't choose between food and girls? :biggrin: "I want girls on bread" :p: ) Sorta like that, but Arts and Science :biggrin:
*Argh* the little science goblin is stuck it won't come out! But never in a million years would I ever think I'd do a science degree! :biggrin:

WOW!! you risked alot!! why did u meet at night though??? lol. ah at least you liked him. im really picky so i hardly fancy anyone. lol.

tuba is bass brass instrument. you often see fat old men play them! LOL. its gonna be more harder an more expensive for me to carry on having tuba lessons so im gonna stop. after all its only a hobbie.

you had your first exam today, and only got 3 more!?!?! whaaaat!?!? not fair not fair!!! lol. ive had 3 exams from maths and 2 from eng. 1 japanese and 3 general studies. grrrr. lol.

its funny how i take both art and eng lit. i do like doing both of the subject although im not keen on poems. ive never been a big fan of them.

oh well at least if you take science you get to meet all the gorgeous smart guys. lol. i prob get artistic ones. they are often weirdos like me. LOL. :biggrin:
Reply 75
why will the Japanese still not admit to the atrocious war crimes in the second world war. they havent paid any compensation to china. they let that evil emperor and family still rule on . on the surface,, they havent even openly admitted they were wrong or expressed remorse.
i once knew a japanese person who said that the japanese education system still taught them to be proud of their strong military background and their efforts in the WW2.
Not trying to attack anyone, im just wondering what you from personal experience what Japanese people feel about this and how the japanese's actions in WW2 is represented nowadays
Reply 76
flaminchocolate
WOW!! you risked alot!! why did u meet at night though??? lol. ah at least you liked him. im really picky so i hardly fancy anyone. lol.

tuba is bass brass instrument. you often see fat old men play them! LOL. its gonna be more harder an more expensive for me to carry on having tuba lessons so im gonna stop. after all its only a hobbie.

you had your first exam today, and only got 3 more!?!?! whaaaat!?!? not fair not fair!!! lol. ive had 3 exams from maths and 2 from eng. 1 japanese and 3 general studies. grrrr. lol.

its funny how i take both art and eng lit. i do like doing both of the subject although im not keen on poems. ive never been a big fan of them.

oh well at least if you take science you get to meet all the gorgeous smart guys. lol. i prob get artistic ones. they are often weirdos like me. LOL. :biggrin:

Hehe yay we can be weirdos together :biggrin: I'm a weirdo toooooo!

I dunno often arts and science mix :wink: My sister does Neuroscience while her boyfriend does some humanities, a friend of mine on TSR is off to do Natural Science and his girlfriend is gonna do Classics :biggrin: and my form tutor is an Eng Lit teacher and her sister works in a hospital as a doctor I think :biggrin: Dunno would be kinda cool if my boyfriend was an arts guy :smile: same passion and all. Although stuff that impresses me is being trilingual or something, or playing an instrument at grade 8 or something :p: or being good at Maths :biggrin: hehe. I don't mind really lol!

Hehe yep just got 1 more now - sat my Biology synoptic today - think I got an overall B for Biology, as a whole. Chemistry on Tuesday - for now I think I've got a B in my resit :smile: Let's hope I did cus I NEED that B for Nottingham! Hehehe yeh lots of people have told me how unfair it is that I started exam the past Tuesday, have now sat 3 exams and only got 1 more to go :biggrin: it's cus I do Art as my 3rd A-Level :smile: 1 exam and I say that in May :smile: I don't do General Studies cus school gave us an option because in yr12 they changed the policy so we did Core Studies (a language) instead and yr13s get to choose between PE and GS :biggrin: although the current yr12s have to do both Core AND GS bless them. So yeh - I only got 2 subjects' worth of exams to sit :smile: 3 papers Bio and 2 papers Chem - if I hadn't resat my Chem it would've only been 4 papers and 3 exams :biggrin: excluding Art :biggrin:

Wooooo you do Japanese A-Level? Must be easy for you, right? I wish I knew Japanese - although sometimes wonder if Japanese music will lose its flavour if I understood it? - cus part of what's SO nice about it is simply cus I don't understand it :biggrin: Foreign languages somehow adds a bit of flavour to the music you don't find in English music - simply cus they're foreign and it's really nice. And Japanese is just a beautiful language it sounds like music anyway :biggrin: although other times I really wanna know what the lyrics are cus the music is so gorgeous - add on gorgeous lyrics would make a great song.

Hehe I'm picky too :biggrin: I'll tell you the first thing I said about him to my friend Claire on msn or in a PM or something - cus my ex could easily be reading this :biggrin: but yeh I hardly ever say someone's cute - and even when I do I'll never go head over heels in love with them. Looks just doesn't "do" me, sorta thing! :wink: He's average-looking - like the average guy, cute smile, nice voice, tall compared to me :p: he's 5ft11 which is average for guys really but I'm 5ft2 :biggrin: so yeh he's tall for me! Met him at night cus my parents had no idea about him and it was at the same time as my friend's halloween party so I had an excuse for going out :p: couldn't invite him back to my house. Parents didn't find out about him til after we broke up and only cus of my massive mobile bill :rolleyes: I've learnt never to ring anyone on their mobile... :redface:

Aww well carry on tuba as a hobby - don't wanna lose that skill :smile: how expensive is it? I've tried taking music lessons before but I quitted the piano twice and the keyboard once, got interested in the guitar and violin before and didn't even touch the instrument before I ever started looking for teachers :rolleyes: so yeh I have some interest in music - but not enough! :biggrin: lol!
perkyDani
why will the Japanese still not admit to the atrocious war crimes in the second world war. they havent paid any compensation to china. they let that evil emperor and family still rule on . on the surface,, they havent even openly admitted they were wrong or expressed remorse.
i once knew a japanese person who said that the japanese education system still taught them to be proud of their strong military background and their efforts in the WW2.
Not trying to attack anyone, im just wondering what you from personal experience what Japanese people feel about this and how the japanese's actions in WW2 is represented nowadays

well i dont know cos i dont go to japanese school but i was never taught to feel anything for war but grief and regret.(while i was in japanese primary school) and i hate it when people say japanese do this or dont do that cos its not our fault the government doesnt do things right.what the government is saying is not often what people agree to or want.
thats my opinion.
Reply 78
I wish I knew Japanese - although sometimes wonder if Japanese music will lose its flavour if I understood it? - cus part of what's SO nice about it is simply cus I don't understand it
Commmmmpletely agree, Iris! Part of the allure of the music is that you can still feel the emotions of the singers/songs even though you're just warbling along to syllables you don't get understand. And must you understand anyway? Music has no barriers.

Ooh how did politics get dragged into this? One look at the States and you might be able to guess that
the government is saying is not often what people agree to or want.
But let's not get into all this. :rolleyes:
leigh787
Commmmmpletely agree, Iris! Part of the allure of the music is that you can still feel the emotions of the singers/songs even though you're just warbling along to syllables you don't get understand. And must you understand anyway? Music has no barriers.

Ooh how did politics get dragged into this? One look at the States and you might be able to guess that But let's not get into all this. :rolleyes:

I quite enjoy "warbling along to syllables" I don't understand, although I do recognise the odd word and that is more annoying than not knowing any , because I wonder how that fits into the song, and the second it takes me to think hmm i know that word it means X. I also enjoy a song when they throw the odd english line in, and it sounds so out of place, comedy value :biggrin:

Latest