The Student Room Group

Screwed up the AS level...

Ok, I'm doing fine at AS level in most of my subjects, and I feel I'm likely to get a couple of A's maybe a B or something like that, but my maths, I know I have screwed up. Even the C1 Resit :frown:

I'm likely to get a C or something in that, but, like everyone else here, I want to do medicine. (thinking KCL, UCL, leeds primarily)

What can I do?! Has anyone else been in this position? My ukcat is 635ish (so not that spectacular :p: ) but I think I can write a good PS and come across well at interview. It's just ******* AS level maths that has screwed me over (froze in the exam blarblarblar).

What can I do? Any advice?
Reply 1
applemilk1992
Ok, I'm doing fine at AS level in most of my subjects, and I feel I'm likely to get a couple of A's maybe a B or something like that, but my maths, I know I have screwed up. Even the C1 Resit :frown:

I'm likely to get a C or something in that, but, like everyone else here, I want to do medicine. (thinking KCL, UCL, leeds primarily)

What can I do?! Has anyone else been in this position? My ukcat is 635ish (so not that spectacular ) but I think I can write a good PS and come across well at interview. It's just ******* AS level maths that has screwed me over (froze in the exam blarblarblar).

What you can do is calm down and wait until you actually get your grades before starting to panic. Even if your AS grades aren't brilliant, that doesn't mean you can't get into medicine.
Reply 2
I got crap AS grades, got an offer. Just make sure you work hard to meet your offer cos I'm not feeling confident about thursday!
Reply 3
First Hygeia is right to say dont panic. You havent got your grades yet so you never know what will happen. Secondly I got four offers with a C at AS so it is definitely do-able. As long as your A2 predictions are AAB which they should be as you said you will probably get a couple of A's and a B then you have as much a chance as anyone. Your UKCAT is above average so that is good. You just have to play to your strengths when you apply to unis. If you have good GCSEs go for Birmingham for example. Dont worry AS's arent everything I am proof of that just take things one step at a time and play to your strengths and make sure you do well in retakes.
Good Luck
pepilachat
First Hygeia is right to say dont panic. You havent got your grades yet so you never know what will happen. Secondly I got four offers with a C at AS so it is definitely do-able. As long as your A2 predictions are AAB which they should be as you said you will probably get a couple of A's and a B then you have as much a chance as anyone. Your UKCAT is above average so that is good. You just have to play to your strengths when you apply to unis. If you have good GCSEs go for Birmingham for example. Dont worry AS's arent everything I am proof of that just take things one step at a time and play to your strengths and make sure you do well in retakes.
Good Luck

Thank you (:

see GCSES are fine as they're 8A* 2A 1B, but I just feel the bad AS will hamper me :p:

I suppose it could be worth emailing admissions tutors after thursday to say 'would you still consider an application if...' to see what they say.

Only problem is that my college is all ONLY APPLY FOR MEDICINE IF YOU HAVE X A* AT GCSE AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AT AS/A2 LEVEL.

well, screw them! ahha
Reply 5
don't panic. wait. congrats on the ukcat.
Don't start panicking yet! Just wait and see until tomorrow - you might surprise yourself! Remember you don't have to put your AS grades on UCAS so you still have a big chance of getting an offer for medicine, and also remember that there is another year! Yep, it's not ideal to be retaking, but if you need to do some retakes it's not the end of the world!
Good luck :smile:
wait until results to see how you did

you never know.......
I meant wait until Thursday, not tomorrow!
I don't even know what day it is anymore haha
SaveItForTheMorning
Don't start panicking yet! Just wait and see until tomorrow - you might surprise yourself! Remember you don't have to put your AS grades on UCAS so you still have a big chance of getting an offer for medicine, and also remember that there is another year! Yep, it's not ideal to be retaking, but if you need to do some retakes it's not the end of the world!
Good luck :smile:

I get you don't have to, but like kings specify 'passes at AS level and something at a certain grade or something', so I didn't think you could 'not delclare' the grade :s-smilie:

We'll see what happens. I'll gladly retake, I just hope a lower grade that was caused purely by a one off ****-up won't ruin my chances! after all, it's not reflective of my ability. My other grades show that haha
applemilk1992

What can I do?! Has anyone else been in this position? My ukcat is 635ish (so not that spectacular :p: ) but I think I can write a good PS and come across well at interview. It's just ******* AS level maths that has screwed me over (froze in the exam blarblarblar).

Yes.

Just get on with it and apply if you want to be a dr. You can't change that exam now, so forget about it and STOP WORRYING.

You can always take a gap year if it goes pear shaped. The end. Don't waste your life/youth worrying. Best advice ever.

UKCAT doesn't matter THAT MUCH unless you apply somewhere fussy.
thanks for the rep

who was it?
Reply 12
i rep yuou!
Reply 13
applemilk1992

I am in exactly the same position as you but I screwed up maths and german :P Ugh, I am just hoping I get AA in Chem & Bio (If I don't get the I am really screwed)! Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see - I hope we both get all As! :p:
The most important thing is your A2. if you mess up your AS you can always retake, just promise yourself you'll work hard next year, and make sure you do.
Reply 15
applemilk1992

M1 maths MEI was a flabergasting first question skipped it.
Reply 16
if you get any C's there is no point in doing medicine to be quite blunt, unless you can get your teachers to predict you higher grades

Latest

Trending

Trending