The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

student housing in Bristol

I know being Freshers we're mostly concerned with which hall we want to go to in the first year, but it occurred to me that by this time next year we'll hopefully all have organised where to live in the 2nd year, and who with! :eek: It's a scary thought!

I can't imagine knowing anyone well enough after just one term to know whether you want to live with them in a house or not! Do most people find this quite hard?

Also, can any current students give an opinion on what the student housing is like in Bristol, or better still, provide a link?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah i'm really worried about this too, i'm dreading not finding anyone that i'll be comfortable living with :frown:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Rob24601
Yeah i'm really worried about this too, i'm dreading not finding anyone that i'll be comfortable living with :frown:

Finding someone to live with is generally the easy part - you make good friends surprisingly quickly.

As for the accommodation itself, the university holds a couple of housing fairs and bombards you with info you need to know about finding your own place. Plus, the accommodation office sifts through a ton of places - so the stuff they put on their website you know isn't dodgy or anything.

susiemakemeblue
Also, can any current students give an opinion on what the student housing is like in Bristol, or better still, provide a link?

www.bris.ac.uk/accom has some useful info :smile:
I'm the kind of person who makes really good friend really quickly and then discovers later on that I actually get on much better with other people, who I took longer to get to know. So I can see myself living with the people I met on my first day in the second year, and not being able to wait until the third year when I can live with the people who actually became my closest friends!
Reply 4
Yeah, that's one thing you've got to bear in mind - the reason it's so easy to make friends in the first week/month is that everyone is in the same boat, wanting to make a good impression so they don't become loners. Thus, everyone's really nice; you may not see their true colours until around december-ish. So it's good to hold off until about then before deciding who to live with. If possible :smile:
But what if everybody else decides really early? :frown:
Reply 6
susiemakemeblue
But what if everybody else decides really early? :frown:

Therein lies the trouble. And to be brutally honest, I don't know. Not gonna lie to you. It's one of the big problems of house hunting. :/
Reply 7
susiemakemeblue
I'm the kind of person who makes really good friend really quickly and then discovers later on that I actually get on much better with other people, who I took longer to get to know. So I can see myself living with the people I met on my first day in the second year, and not being able to wait until the third year when I can live with the people who actually became my closest friends!

haha, I think you've summed up my entire situation. I'm off to Imperial next year so don't have to worry though. :biggrin:
I guess I'll just have to spend a lot of time talking to a lot of people and try and suss out what they're really like early on...
Reply 9
susiemakemeblue
I guess I'll just have to spend a lot of time talking to a lot of people and try and suss out what they're really like early on...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'll end up with at least one person you're friends with; most likely more. The whole process just seems stressful before you get into it.
I just want to get there! October is so far away I'm dying of impatience!
Reply 11
I know the feeling :frown: I still need to find a summer job...
Reply 12
We ended up going to Bristol Airport to pick up the contract for our house. We did it because basically it meant we were guaranteed to get it before anybody else did :biggrin: And it's a damn good house, and bloody cheap for the location.
Luckily I don't have to worry finding a job. I plan to hand my notice in on 1st September. :smile: They already know I'm going though. It's nice to know I have a guaranteed income until then!
Reply 14
El Pollo Diablo
And it's a damn good house, and bloody cheap for the location.

Where abouts?
El Pollo Diablo
We ended up going to Bristol Airport to pick up the contract for our house. We did it because basically it meant we were guaranteed to get it before anybody else did :biggrin: And it's a damn good house, and bloody cheap for the location.

Why Bristol airport? And tell me about the house! How much are you paying, and what do you get for your money? (I want a double bed in 2nd year :p: )
Reply 16
susiemakemeblue
Why Bristol airport? And tell me about the house! How much are you paying, and what do you get for your money? (I want a double bed in 2nd year :p: )

Basically the guy was going on holiday the next day, so we drove out to meet him halfway (he lives out in Somerset).

We're paying £245 per month, for a 5 bed terrace in Cotham, about 15 minutes from the uni. It's close to the Arches at the bottom of Gloucester Road, which has got plenty of pubs/restaurants/takeaways/shops etc. We get 4 double rooms (one of which I get, although I don't have much use for it at the moment :biggrin:) and one smaller single (we're paying the guy in that room a bit more). Separate lounge and kitchen, both decent sized. All the usual gubbins, including washing machine and tumble drier. And its got a big pink front door.
What's the decor like? The house my ex is in is decorated so badly I don't think I could cope!
Reply 18
susiemakemeblue
What's the decor like? The house my ex is in is decorated so badly I don't think I could cope!

Seemed pleasant enough. To be honest, I can't remember loads, it was a while back when we visited. Lots of neutral colours, iirc.
Reply 19
El Pollo Diablo
It's close to the Arches at the bottom of Gloucester Road, which has got plenty of pubs/restaurants/takeaways/shops etc.

The Grecian!

Latest

Trending

Trending