The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
jyemelade
Im doing a full time nursing degree, ontop of caring for my grand-mother so i really cant get a job as i have barely enough time to study :frown:, The bursary is kind of blown out with accommodation, internet service and because of its proximity to the uni. I can get a job in the summer when im not at uni anymore and in the other holidays when were not there. I know its crazy! I was expecting £10-£15 PER DAY to live on, but i dont :frown:

My friend is doing a nursing degree and her fee's and accomodation are all paid by the NHS plus she gets £500 a month from them. She isnt even from a poor family so its not income related.
Reply 61
Eat offal.
fire2burn
It's perfectly possible to live off that amount as a student after you've paid for accommodation. Maybe you wont getting your sandwiches from Harrods, but it's still a liveable amount.

He won't be buying sandwiches from anywhere on that.
Reply 63
Tintin and the Picaros
Alright then smart arse, how could you live of £19.50 a week.
£60 a week on food is hardly lavish.

Hmm let me see.

Morrisons own make pasta 1kg= 42p
Fresh fruit and vegetables with peppers too= £3ish

That alone can make different pasta recipes, and can feed a family of 3 for 2 night. which is 6 meals.

My mams friend owns a oriental shop, where they sell lentils and beans etc, and we get them cheap. You can make soup with just: lentils, a leg of lamb, and fresh vegetables for under a £5 and that can if watered down a bit, do about 6-8 meals. To make the soup last a bit longer, you can buy 2nd bread from morrisons, which is bread that they are going to throw out but is still fresh enough to eat, for 50p and eat this with the soup to make it less.

I believe i have just provided about 14 meals with under £10? which is the uni-equal to 7 days of food.

Morrisons own make rice crispies= about 30p, 2 litre bottle of milk =1.20 and that would be my cereal for the weak.

OH look i only used £10 :biggrin: never mind everyone. Tintin and the Picaros helped me find that i have about £9 to spend on everything else because i can feed myself for a week with just £10. thanks!
Reply 64
chatham4
My friend is doing a nursing degree and her fee's and accomodation are all paid by the NHS plus she gets £500 a month from them. She isnt even from a poor family so its not income related.

Actually, degrees and diplomas are totally different, and im doing a diploma.

She must live in accommodation that doesnt cost too much, mines about 5 grand annually, and i get about 6grand in total annually. So its different for everyone. I worked out if i lived with my mother whilst i did this, and she didnt charge me anything, id have about 150 per week. But we kind of live too far away and she would charge me lols
Reply 65
Pink Bullets
He won't be buying sandwiches from anywhere on that.

If the "he" you are talking about is me, I am a girl! FYI! lol
sainsburys basics, waitrose essentials, asda smart price, and tesco economy, use all that stuff, walk in to the supermarkets (when not hungry) near you and find out the things you will regulary need and make a list of what is cheapest where (you will be suprised, as waitrose essentials sausages are cheaper then sainsburys basics, and thats not with staff discount).

make big pots of things and then freeze all but one serving for that days dinner, also for things like pens you can buy a big packs of that stuff from poundland and the likes.
jyemelade
Hmm let me see.

Morrisons own make pasta 1kg= 42p
Fresh fruit and vegetables with peppers too= £3ish

That alone can make different pasta recipes, and can feed a family of 3 for 2 night. which is 6 meals.

My mams friend owns a oriental shop, where they sell lentils and beans etc, and we get them cheap. You can make soup with just: lentils, a leg of lamb, and fresh vegetables for under a £5 and that can if watered down a bit, do about 6-8 meals. To make the soup last a bit longer, you can buy 2nd bread from morrisons, which is bread that they are going to throw out but is still fresh enough to eat, for 50p and eat this with the soup to make it less.

I believe i have just provided about 14 meals with under £10? which is the uni-equal to 7 days of food.

Morrisons own make rice crispies= about 30p, 2 litre bottle of milk =1.20 and that would be my cereal for the weak.

OH look i only used £10 :biggrin: never mind everyone. Tintin and the Picaros helped me find that i have about £9 to spend on everything else because i can feed myself for a week with just £10. thanks!

Pasta and vegetables, aren't tey exciting. Well that makes six very boring and dull meal. If only i knew your, as you put it, 'mams' friend. 6-8 meals with the lamb and soup, a tad excessive. Bread and soup, how very filling. The food you seem to have mention is very mundane and dry. There is hardly any nice good quality meat, no drinks. By the way no milk lasts a week, its best to have it fresh every morning. Cereals in the morning, every morning. Another thing the food from Morrisions insn't nice, try the local sainsbury's or waitrose, they are far nicer.
You thing that £10 is enough? And what would you spend the £9.50 on? On everything else, what exactly?
You can make meals more interesting without spending more on them. You're not going to university to eat gourmet meals, you're going to get a degree, and if you're worrying about money all the time you aren't going to study as well. £19.50 is a very low amount of money and it is definitely worth looking if you could do even just a few hours a week (most unis offer students part-time jobs that have short, flexible hours) but I think it's possible. My budget will be around £35 a week but travel will be very expensive as I'm going a long way from home.
Reply 69
EVen with bursaries and grants you will only have £19 :s-smilie:?
Reply 70
Tintin and the Picaros
Pasta and vegetables, aren't tey exciting. Well that makes six very boring and dull meal. If only i knew your, as you put it, 'mams' friend. 6-8 meals with the lamb and soup, a tad excessive. Bread and soup, how very filling. The food you seem to have mention is very mundane and dry. There is hardly any nice good quality meat, no drinks. By the way no milk lasts a week, its best to have it fresh every morning. Cereals in the morning, every morning. Another thing the food from Morrisions insn't nice, try the local sainsbury's or waitrose, they are far nicer.
You thing that £10 is enough? And what would you spend the £9.50 on? On everything else, what exactly?

I dont really care if its boring, or if its not "nutritious" by your standards. It is still food. And if this is the only way i can live comfortable then so be it.

No, but if my room mate HAD not *drink* (lol) cereal every morning too, then we would split the cost of the milk, and buy 2 each weak which would in turn amount to the same price.

I do agree morrisons food is rather erm... BASIC lol, very basic at times tbh...but its close by and cheap. The 9.50 would just go to my bank account, and whenever i need clothes or whatever id just take it out etc. Yes i agree for quality? sainsburys and waitrose are way better then morrisons, but id rather have minging food and money to spend on other crap then use the full £19.50 on similar items at higher priced shops. Bread and soup is filling yes. ooooh i forgot to say, cream crackers are 18p, and you get about 40 crackers, they are low call and cheap. NOT nutritious AT all, but at least its all going to help me not gain too much weight or cost me alot.

Oh and i dont drink anything else other then water very much. And water expense is already included in the bills. And yeh cereal every morning, ive been doing it for the past 10 or so years so im not going to stop now :s-smilie:
Reply 71
jyemelade
That may be so, but i am not a pikey. Ive lived in newcastle all my life and so has the rest of my family. It is possible to live on £20 per week you just have to know how, and have a bit of savvy.

:awesome:
Go to supermarkets late at night and buy some cheap food because prices on some items fall considerably.
Dont waste food
You may need to eat a lot of junk food if you havent got much money, its a lot cheaper than meals out. Not the best advice I admit but its true unfortunately.
Limit yourself to a certain amount of nights out, you dont want to spend all of your money in one night.
Try not to overspend, its tempting but youll regret it the following week when you havent got any money or you have to budget to the point where youre starving.
Dont waste money on unnessessary items like new clothes, if you can help it. If you have clean clothes, wear them, you dont need to buy new ones everytime you go shopping.

Also, try and get a part time job if circumstances permit (course commitments etc.), the extra money will come in handy.

Hope this helps :smile: Good luck
Reply 73
mel0n
EVen with bursaries and grants you will only have £19 :s-smilie:?

Its a partial grant and the bursary is getting used on the rest along with maintenence too. Dont worry ive looked it over many times, its deffo only £19

However, if i didnt have the internet and lived in an accomodation with more people and less bathrooms, i would have alot more money. However, my cousin went to this place, and every morning when she woke up to brush her teeth there was always sick in the sink from a previous nights drinking session. I really want that! :yep: haha :P
Reply 74
alexclayton18
Go to supermarkets late at night and buy some cheap food because prices on some items fall considerably.
Dont waste food
You may need to eat a lot of junk food if you havent got much money, its a lot cheaper than meals out. Not the best advice I admit but its true unfortunately.
Limit yourself to a certain amount of nights out, you dont want to spend all of your money in one night.
Try not to overspend, its tempting but youll regret it the following week when you havent got any money or you have to budget to the point where youre starving.
Dont waste money on unnessessary items like new clothes, if you can help it. If you have clean clothes, wear them, you dont need to buy new ones everytime you go shopping.

Also, try and get a part time job if circumstances permit (course commitments etc.), the extra money will come in handy.

Hope this helps :smile: Good luck

Thank you! I have quite alot of clothes already so hopefully will only need to buy if i lose clothes, they get too small, or stained etc.
Reply 75
Llynus
:awesome:

This is a bah? moment?
Reply 76
jyemelade
This is a bah? moment?

Eh? Don't understand you.

I was just messing though, I'll be in the same boat of living on nothing a week in a few months :smile:
Reply 77
Llynus
Eh? Don't understand you.

I was just messing though, I'll be in the same boat of living on nothing a week in a few months :smile:

I meant that i didnt understand why you did a funny happy face thingey mabobby. Were you implying that by living in newcastle, your naturally a pikey anyway or something? :s-smilie:
Reply 78
Tintin and the Picaros

On another brighter note, this is my first night here and i dont wish to make enemies because of argueing about different brands of pasta... lols, i am extremely tired now and hope you accept my apology of being a tad childish :biggrin:
Reply 79
someone might have said this but there are usually 2 semesters of 12 weeks each, so you only need to divide your loan/grant allowance for food by 24 not 52, because the rest of the time youll be at home?? that should more than double it.

Latest

Trending

Trending