The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mariarrrrr.
I think its horrible. What he did was wrong but he shouldnt die for it, he would suffer more spending his life in prison anyway.

if you say so

BeanofJelly
I'm just thinking what about his mother. She didn't rape anyone.

but there not executing her - a better question is what about the victims mother? you know the one who has to remember that someone raped and murdered her daughter?

and a rapist and murderer is sentenced to death - nope no sympathy for him here
Delta Usafa
Exactly, we're all different. But let's be honest - would it really bother you that much if the guy died? Specifically, if he had actually raped the person you knew and then committed a double murder?

If he died of an illness/natural causes? No, it wouldn't. If he was murdered? I'd wan't HIS killer brought to justice. For him to killed in the name of 'justice' for killing someone I love? Yes, it would!

I honestly don't care if the family is all upset about them being dead. Justice needs to be served, other peoples' feelings really are a nonissue to me. Sparing a murderer because it might make his family sad really is the most absurd thing I can imagine at the moment.

I have a different definition of justice to you...I don't think that creating more 'surviving victims' of a crime is right.

But since we're appealing to emotion, think about it this way. If the person stays in prison, the family gets to live with the shame of their sorry excuse for a kid (or brother/sister) for the rest of their lives. If he dies, they'll actually move on and get over it.

The shame is going to be there whatever happens! All the death penalty will do is add grief to shame.

Well if you believe in it, it's a faster ticket for them to burn in hell for eternity. And if you don't, I don't think ceasing to exist is that great a thing either.

If they cease to exist, they're not going to be worrying about it.
If you're going to go the religion route, then consider the quote 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone'. If we bring religion into this though, it's going to get even more messy then is already is.

And they may not necessarily be out in 25 years, no. It could be even sooner if they behave themselves! And over the course of that 25 years they get three meals a day, television, video games, drugs (if they know how to get them), and they don't have to work. And then they of course can keep on committing crimes while in prison!

I never said that the british prision system was perfect, I've also made it clear that I don't think the sentences are right...I just think that the death penalty is even more wrong. The regimin probably ought to be tougher.

Of course not. I admire the way you've handled the situation. But no two cases are the same.

1) Thank you
2) Agreed
Reply 402
I don't get joy or excitement out of it as another TSR member said, but I still believe in the death penalty for extreme cases. You can clearly see that the guy is in complete turmoil about being given the death sentence, but what was going through his victims mind when she was raped and murdered? If it were an eye for an eye then he would actually be getting off worse, at least he won't be violently raped before he dies.
The Referee
If he died of an illness/natural causes? No, it wouldn't. If he was murdered? I'd wan't HIS killer brought to justice. For him to killed in the name of 'justice' for killing someone I love? Yes, it would!
Sure, if he was murdered you'd want his murderer brought to justice for committing the same crime. But if he was killed as part of his sentence, that is justice. Justice is all about fairness, it's in the definition. And it's not fair for a person to be able to take another's life and then continue to enjoy his own. What is fair is to subject them to what they subjected others to.

I have a different definition of justice to you...I don't think that creating more 'surviving victims' of a crime is right.

They're already victims, you're not making more. Also, they should understand that even though they're upset, their family member is the one at fault - not the legal system. Murderers make their own choices, and they are well aware that those choices will bring pain to everyone in their lives. It is not the state's job to correct that person's wrongs for him. Justice isn't about making people happy.

The shame is going to be there whatever happens! All the death penalty will do is add grief to shame.

There is already grief. And the grief over a dead loved one is a lot shorter lived than the continuous grief of that loved one living in prison.

If they cease to exist, they're not going to be worrying about it.
If you're going to go the religion route, then consider the quote 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone'. If we bring religion into this though, it's going to get even more messy then is already is.

I'd have to say certain sins carry a lot more weight than others.

1) Thank you
2) Agreed

:thumbsup:
Reply 404
Can we just take a step back here. Everyone argueing for the death penalty allways makes this point:

"Murderers make their own choices, and they are well aware that those choices will bring pain to everyone in their lives. It is not the state's job to correct that person's wrongs for him. Justice isn't about making people happy."

Or a variation of this. However, I dont think this is neccessarily the case. This statement basically says that all murderers, are psychopaths concious of their actions at the time of committing the crime. Now I dont know about anyone else, but i know ive been angry enough in the past to just snap and hit someone. But say I was in the kitchen, i was angry, then something just tiped me over the edge, and in an instant id stabed someone with a knife. Now i didnt make a concious decision that went like:

If I stab A + A dies = State will kill me.

I probbly didnt even think about the act until the very second it was carried out (i might not even have thought about it at all, it might have been instantanious.

Now I know this doesnt really apply to this case, as there was intent (at least for the rape), but this is mostly to all those who make this claim, that a murderer always makes this concious decision, as if murderers arnt really people who think like you and me, but are always cold, calculated psychopaths.

In this case, yeh he has the intent for the rape, thats a solid fact, but he doesnt even fulfil the actus reus (the physical act), the evidence said that both victims were shot with a .3something bullet (now iirc thats from either a rifle or a pistol), the evidence also stated that this guy had been carrying a shotgun. So i have doubts as to weather he actually committed the murders.

Even if he did, i would still bring in the thought process that all the pro DP people claim, that all murderers know from the start of the events that lead up to the death of the victim, exactly what they are doing (now in some cases this is true, but not all!). I would question, considering his age whether, the reslt was always his intention, or whether one thing led to another and things escalated, especially in a group of teenage boys, peer pressure and fear can lead to things getting out of control very quickly.

What he did was horrible, and he should be held responsible, but by taking his life, it means society lowers itself to the level of the murderer.

(on the religious apect - see my previous post in this thread.)
PAPAdawg
This is when p.o.s ''Dexter'' Johnson went ape in court after been sentenced to death for the murder of an innocent bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYoaVoT5Ug

knowing he is suffering gives me great joy

:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending