The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
necessarily benevolent
This is just a case of dodging the issue really. It doesn't pose any threat to my stance. You just think a form of affirmative behaviour on the part of the government makes them culpable. Even if this was the case, it's affirmative action for the government to be endorsing the widening of the M25 and other motorways - how many innocent deaths could the increasing speeds on these roads cause which, otherwise, could've been prevented?

You really need to take a step back and look at what you're writing. You've just seen the face of a man destined to die and heard the desperate laments of his mother and responded to it by making excuses of how this should be a consistent occurrence because the government allows roads to exist.
Reply 81
DeanK22

Spoiler

I wondered why the urban dictionary had this - until people like you started posting with little advanced thought or any consideration of the social impact on abolishing the death penalty. You need to get a grip on reality and think before believing such ridiculous statements.

Bagration is probably one of the most right wing people on this forum, just from the libertarian right... Also this topic didnt really need a longer reponse, the death penalty is disgusting...
I hate the death penalty. Its the easy way out.
CompanyLimited
What are the social implications of abolishing the death penalty?

People on death row are allocaoted to seperate prison facilities that decrease the already overcrowded prisons and while there for a few years they are eventually killed creating more space. Economically these prisons represent solid employment and a source of wealth not only for emploees but also organisations that are involved in manufacturing more efficient ways to kill (a rather depressing job) and the actual process of killing someone and burying them provides some income for a plethora of people (for example coffin makers, undertakers, etc - though these will already be employed without said penalty).

On a, perhaps more personal level, the death of someone who is believed (people who are innocent have been kiled) to have done a terrible crime can be comforting to the victim / vistim's relatives. It also acts as a rather good scare tactic - as death usualy is.
Yusuf.T
ergh its horrible to just be rotting in a jail cell waiting to be executed.

Totally. When the European Court of Human Rights was asked whether it would be lawful for Britain to extradite a man, charged with offences that attract the death penalty, to the United States, the Court said it would be illegal, not because the death penalty per se is unacceptable, but the years and years spent on death row constitutes an inhumane punishment.
Pawsies
Well, the people commenting seem to think he is innocent. I don't know myself, I watched half of the video where he went mad but I guess that's a normal reaction. I couldn't see it properly though, I couldn't even figure out whether I was looking at the right person or not.

The one thing I do know is that Dexter is one awesome name :biggrin:

Haha my older bro wanted to call my younger bro Dexter when he was born....he is now a Jon :confused:
sron
You really need to take a step back and look at what you're writing. You've just seen the face of a man destined to die and heard the desperate laments of his mother and responded to it by making excuses of how this should be a consistent occurrence because the government allows roads to exist.

I didn't actually justify it by referring to other government-endorsed schemes. I used those to refute the argument that the government should not be allowed to have any role over whether their subjects live or die - which I think I've done quite effectively. As for the "man destined to die...desperate laments" etc. Waaa :cry: emotive words.
THE DEATH SENTENCE SHOULD BE ABOLISHED, so should backward states like hillbilly texas. :mad:
Its a Sad video.

But if he committed the crime then justice is being served, but that still does not make it any easier for the families of Dexter or the victim.

Both families will have lost loved ones, is that how justice should be served?
Reply 89
n0c0ntr0l
I hate the death penalty. Its the easy way out.

+1 basically. I'm sure most people would take death than spend the rest of their life in a cell, however old they are.

Although I guess this kid thought differently, and I imagine that if you're put in the same situation you might think differently, it's easy to talk about how you'd react if you haven't experienced something.
Reply 90
Eye for an eye.

I don't see how "It's right, because we're the government" actually makes it right?
Jaager
Bagration is probably one of the most right wing people on this forum, just from the libertarian right... Also this topic didnt really need a longer reponse, the death penalty is disgusting...

Did you read that back when you posted or do you just randomly mash the keyboard? As to the reasons for abolishing the death penalty other than - "disgusting" - well done, you utterly won that debate and hopefully you will show such excellent responses in the future.
Reply 92
DeanK22
People on death row are allocaoted to seperate prison facilities that decrease the already overcrowded prisons and while there for a few years they are eventually killed creating more space. Economically these prisons represent solid employment and a source of wealth not only for emploees but also organisations that are involved in manufacturing more efficient ways to kill (a rather depressing job) and the actual process of killing someone and burying them provides some income for a plethora of people (for example coffin makers, undertakers, etc - though these will already be employed without said penalty).

On a, perhaps more personal level, the death of someone who is believed (people who are innocent have been kiled) to have done a terrible crime can be comforting to the victim / vistim's relatives. It also acts as a rather good scare tactic - as death usualy is.

you do realise that it costs the US government millions per exicution, enough to hold multiple prisoners for life...
DeanK22
Ah, the industry of death, eh? I have never ever heard someone say the death penalty is justified because it benefits our economy...

DeanK22
There's also no evidence at all that the death penalty is a deterrent. There's also evidence to the contrary:
http://www.amnestyusa.org/death-penalty/death-penalty-facts/the-death-penalty-and-deterrence/page.do?id=1101085
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tamar-abrams/experts-agree-death-penal_b_217394.html

If we want to work "on a more personal level", my father has defended scores of murderers in court. The threat of the gallows did nothing to deter them.

Lastly, it might be comforting to some innocent, but it's not comfortable for other innocents; directly, the family of the convict put to death, and actually, in Western Europe, according to representative democracy, the public.
DeanK22
Did you read that back when you posted or do you just randomly mash the keyboard? As to the reasons for abolishing the death penalty other than - "disgusting" - well done, you utterly won that debate and hopefully you will show such excellent responses in the future.

And some person had the nerve earlier to claim that I was thinking with my heart rather than my head for supporting capital punishment. :p:
DeanK22
People on death row are allocaoted to seperate prison facilities that decrease the already overcrowded prisons

Why can't we build new 'normal' prisons with the money that would be spent on building these new separate person facilities for prospective death row inmates?

DeanK22
while there for a few years they are eventually killed creating more space.

Assuming the death penalty is reserved for the most repugnant crimes, the use of the death penalty wouldn't do much to relieve the problem of overcrowdedness in the prison system.

DeanK22
Economically these prisons represent solid employment and a source of wealth not only for emploees

We can achieve this by building new 'normal' prisons.

DeanK22
also organisations that are involved in manufacturing more efficient ways to kill (a rather depressing job) and the actual process of killing someone and burying them provides some income for a plethora of people (for example coffin makers, undertakers, etc - though these will already be employed without said penalty).

If you're desire is to create jobs and economic activity, there are far more productive way to achieve this than to introduce the death penalty.

DeanK22
On a, perhaps more personal level, the death of someone who is believed (people who are innocent have been kiled) to have done a terrible crime can be comforting to the victim / vistim's relatives.

On the other hand, you would have the inevitable prospect of innocent people dying, which is a horrible thought.

DeanK22
It also acts as a rather good scare tactic - as death usualy is.

I don't think there's sufficient evidence in favour of the deterrent argument.
lol at that woman hiding under the table.
DeanK22

Frankly, anyone that gets comfort out of someone else's death needs psychiatric help. Just think about it, it's exactly the same attitude as the person who killed in the first place. When you move toward a society that does not sanction killing in any circumstances you find a deterrent that actually makes sense. It also doesn't work as a scare tactic- I remember reading Freakonomics which talks about studies that have been done in the USA to check its deterrence. It is of very little consequence to the person intent on murder. Aside from this, I don't think you get people in prisons relieved to have got off so lightly. It's not a theme park.

From an economic perspective? If less people were killed there'd be a larger workforce. There could also be people employed in occupations that benefit humanity, rather than burying or killing them. Killing people because of the outrage of them killing someone else? Even logically it's just an entirely ridiculous concept.
Reply 98
Personally i think it is more of a punishment to have life in prison without chance of parole. I don't really agree with the death penalty, it just seems wrong to murder someone for murdering someone, also there have been many occasions of innocent people being executed. The only convincing argument in its favour that i've heard is to reduce the cost to the taxpayer of housing them.
Bagration
**** the death penalty. It doesn't matter if he's a murderer or a rapist. Taking human life is wrong. Full stop.

This.

Latest

Trending

Trending