The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Natmarjus
Im going to be studying biomedical science at UCL. Will I need to get a lab coat or are they provoded and if I do need to get one, wheres the best place to get one from?? thanks on advance xx

Some uni's have lab coats you can borrow but they are horrible you are best getting your own. Your union shop may sell them if not see if you have an Alexanders somewhere near by they are a uniform shop but they sell lab coats too
Reply 2
heya im doing biomedical science at UH :smile: i already have a labcoat from my a levels but i know that there will be one day during freshers week when we can purchase them. I need to have two lab coats, one for general lab work and the other is for microbiology. The microbiology one will be supplied by the uni but it might be worth finding out if you need two coats too.
Reply 3
Ok cool thanks! You looking forward to biomed?
haven't you got one from school?
The uni may sell second hand ones - ours had a few, but they didn't look so nice and I had my own anyway. Only about £15 from a school outfitters.
Reply 5
you could also try ebay, you will probably get one from there. I bought mine from college and it cost about £15

yes i am really looking forward to biomed, although im really nervous at the same time about disection. Iv not had much chance to do it at college etc so im worried i will come other all squeamish the first few times! Iv got my vapour rub at the ready though :biggrin: i would recommend trying it, put a bit on your nose when you do disection or experiments with yeast (baby sick smell! yuck) and it makes things so much easier, the smell is the worst part!
Reply 6
Holleh
you could also try ebay, you will probably get one from there. I bought mine from college and it cost about £15

yes i am really looking forward to biomed, although im really nervous at the same time about disection. Iv not had much chance to do it at college etc so im worried i will come other all squeamish the first few times! Iv got my vapour rub at the ready though :biggrin: i would recommend trying it, put a bit on your nose when you do disection or experiments with yeast (baby sick smell! yuck) and it makes things so much easier, the smell is the worst part!

Ive got a son so im used to the babysick smell anyway lol. Will keep it in mind thou thanks. I did an access course so hardly any lab work so ahvent had a lab coat since college first time (im 23 now) and god knows where that is lol!
Looked on ebay, brand new for £9 so might go for that! Thanks everyone!
Good course.
Micro - i'm looking over that now (for med) and it's tough!
Reply 8
ohhh i have a labcoat from doing chem at A level that ill never use again now....ill sell it to u :p: PM me if ur interested (or anyone else for that matter!)
Reply 9
i need a dust coat- for the pratical parts of my course eg. woodwork metalwork etc.- does anyone know if this is the same sort of thing as a labcoat? or is it totally different? ive been given a whole list of things i am strongy advised to purchase- but we have no idea what mos of it is...
so yeah what is a dustcoat? and where can i get one from?- thanks
Reply 10
cleas001
i need a dust coat- for the pratical parts of my course eg. woodwork metalwork etc.- does anyone know if this is the same sort of thing as a labcoat? or is it totally different? ive been given a whole list of things i am strongy advised to purchase- but we have no idea what mos of it is...
so yeah what is a dustcoat? and where can i get one from?- thanks

hey!

i guess you're doing Industrial Design at Brunel then. I'm doing the same course but at Loughborough! I suppose a dust coat is the same as a lab coat as that was what we are expected to wear in the workshops, or overalls (yuk!) i think the main thing is to have a high cotton content in the lab coat. Your uni should sell a load of the stuff you'll need for your course, or suggest wear you can buy them from. It's a bit complicated when the uni isn't campus. If not, try shops that sell work clothing or DIY stores (not sure about them). If not, try the internet, theres loads of places that sell these sort of things.

Anyway, good luck on your course. Hope you enjoy it.
Reply 11
Yep- well its product design- but from what i gathered from the open days its pretty much the same as the industrial design course at loughbrough!- goo luck with it its a nice uni...
your a girl right??- do you think there will be many girls on this type of course because at both the brunel and loughbrough interview days i didnt see many girls...? it doesnt bother me hugely i was just wondering...
Reply 12
when i went to the open days for my course, i was the only girl. The rest were guys and were also international students, im worried about being the odd one out :frown:
My mate is at Brunel on the Product Design course, or whatever it's called... The majority of the students on the course are guys, if she's telling me the truth!
Reply 14
cleas001
Yep- well its product design- but from what i gathered from the open days its pretty much the same as the industrial design course at loughbrough!- goo luck with it its a nice uni...
your a girl right??- do you think there will be many girls on this type of course because at both the brunel and loughbrough interview days i didnt see many girls...? it doesnt bother me hugely i was just wondering...

hey nice to hear from you,

I've been told that it is a male dominated course, but at the interview i did see more girls than expected at lboro hmmm and i remember one particular girl who bought in a massive frame/board maybe a painting to show as part of her portfolio i believe. but still loads of boys! one thing i'm not too keen on is if the classes are big, since i've been so used to teeny weeny class sizes at a-level - nice and quiet, and a doss at the same time!

anyway good luck with your studies.
moz
Reply 15
Holleh
when i went to the open days for my course, i was the only girl. The rest were guys and were also international students, im worried about being the odd one out :frown:

don't worry, i was one of the few girls at the interview days, and the only asian one too out of both girls and boys!
Reply 16
i think i will atcually prefer to be in a mostly male course as in general i find them much more easir to get along with- laid back etc. my only worry is that since im living at home i may not get to know many girls... oh well i will have to see how it goes!! quite excited now!! woo hoo
good luck to you all
x
Reply 17
just wondering, does anyone know if you'd need to buy a lab coat for doing geography? cos we have lab practicals for physical geog but i don't know if there'll be enough of it to warrant buying my own one or whether i should just borrow one from the department?!

Latest

Trending

Trending