Actuarial science degree personal statement example (1a) with review

Why Maths? - Simply, because I love it. As I delve deeper into the realms of Mathematics, the degree of my fascination continues to increase. To me, Maths is not a subject, it is a skill acquired through years of education and one which I find to be most enjoyable to practise. Whether it is proof or advanced algebra, mathematics does not cease to challenge me. Maths is an underlying factor of our everyday lives – from counting change, to sorting your personal accounts – it is a skill that everyone requires. I have always believed that the knowledge and understanding you gain in the process of attempting to solve a problem is as important as actually finding the solution.

I was particularly intrigued when I came across a system of Mathematics called ‘Vedic Maths’ – a useful and creative way of solving complex problems. Attending a course on this unique system stimulated my thirst for Mathematics even further.

A key area of Maths that I thoroughly enjoy is Statistics. Statistics involves collecting, analysing and interpreting data in order to find the solution to a problem. Not only can you find a solution, but you can also prevent the crisis from happening in the future. You can use data to logically calculate when something will happen in the future e.g. the weather. To further my knowledge, I began to read the book “how long is a piece of string?” by Rob Eastaway and Jeremy Wyndham. The book shows how the use of maths is related to everyday situations, for example, you can prove the fact that a full glass is algebraically the same as an empty glass and, of course, the length of a string is infinitely long – being the title of the book. Another book I have read is “The Code Book: The Secret History of Codes and Code-breaking”. Simon Singh, the author of the book, manages to take us into the world of cryptography and codes and once again shows us how, the Mathematics and Statistics we will learn, will follow through in later life.

Maths and Statistics underpin the economics theory we use to try to explain and predict world events. Economics has a strong correlation with Mathematics and Statistics. Without Maths and Statistics, proving certain assumptions or implications would be next to impossible. It can only be done by using data or Mathematical models. Using knowledge gained from all three subjects, I am sure, will go a long way in furthering my understanding of each separate one, due to their ’intricate intertwining’. Further, it will also help me in my preparation for possible careers, such as Actuary or Investment Banking. My fervour for these subjects is the driving force for me and I am determined to do my very best.

I am currently working towards Grade 7 on Flute and grade 5 on Saxophone. I am part of Leicestershire arts ‘Big Band’ and ‘Wind Orchestra’ where I play Tenor Saxophone. I feel the experience gained in performing in front of large audiences has vastly increased my confidence. I have been practising Shotokan Karate for 9 years now and am 3rd Kyu. I have played in Oadby Owls Football Club for four years. We played competitive matches against other teams inside Leicestershire on a weekly basis, which I believe helped in improving my ability to act as a team player. I am in the process of completing my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award, with my Bronze Award already completed. I learn Hindi outside of school and have also taken an extra GCSE in Hinduism. I have volunteered to mentor GCSE Maths students at my school, which I have been doing for 2 years now. The satisfaction you gain from helping others develop their knowledge is very rare, which is why I enjoy it so much. The extra-curricular activities I have mentioned above, to me, contribute a large extent in honing my personality, self-discipline, dedication and confidence.

I can see a direction in which I want my life to go and admission in to your course would definitely be the correct step towards that goal.

• Warwick (MORSE)
  • LSE (Actuarial science)
  • St Andrews (Maths and Economics)
  • Manchester (Actuarial Science)
  • Southampton (MORSE)

• Maths (AS) - A*
  • Chemisrty (AS) - B
  • Economics (AS/A2) - A
  • Further Maths (A2) - Pending

Great PS here. It'd be very helpful if you could tell us which units did you get offers from and which one did you accept.