Adult nursing degree personal statement example (1b)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

From a very early age I have loved the idea of working with people, assisting them and working as part of a team. Some years ago my Granddad was diagnosed with Lung cancer which was a shock not only for me, but for all my family. When he was admitted to Galway Hospice after unsuccessful treatment I saw how genuine, kind and caring the staff were. This insight made me realise that I wanted to pursue a career as a healthcare professional. Due to a food allergy some time ago, I was admitted to hospital after suffering from anaphylactic shock. It was a scary experience but the nurses were so caring and positive they calmed me and gave me courage. From that moment on I acknowledged the impact a nurse can have on a person's life. I began to research nursing as a career. I know that nurses are there for people at all stages of life, from the midwives at birth to the gerentology nurses looking after the elderly and so often in between. For the past number of weeks I have carried out work experience in a care facility for the elderly. This experience has helped to cement my career choice. The professionalism and caring nature of the nurses towards the patients, and the way they work as part of a care team really matches my career aspirations. I really enjoyed helping the nurses, chatting to and caring for the elderly patients. I enjoyed assisting the residents with their activities and believe that I have the ability, empathy and potential to become a very good nurse. For the past few years I have done a lot of babysitting for neighbours and relatives. People think that I relate well to children. I know this is true because I really get a lot of satisfaction from working with them. From helping with homework to caring for them I think that I would like a children's aspect to my career. This leads to my interest in specialising in paediatric nursing at some stage in my career. In secondary school I elected to carry out work experience in a primary school because I wanted to find out what it was like to work with children in a professional setting. I always knew I would like a career in Nursing but it was only when I started the FETAC Pre-Nursing course that I have come to realise how much I would like to specialise in paediatrics. 'Human Growth & Development' is a module within my FETAC programme. The main focus within this module is child development. I am really fascinated by it and am hungry for more knowledge in this area. Within our 'Introduction to Nursing' module we have learned about all the different specialties in nursing. If I attain a place on a general nursing degree I will specialise later. Who knows in what area this could be as I enjoy so many aspects of my Pre-Nursing course but I have a definite interest in paediatrics. I am a person who is organised, hard-working and enthusiastic. I rarely miss a day on my Pre-Nursing programme and I approach each lesson with a desire to learn. I love my time on work experience and voluntary activities. I have volunteered for the ISPCC and Enable Ireland. When I think of a future career it must be one where I work with people and volunteering helped me realise this. I love to communicate. I'm a good listener and I have empathy for others. I realised this more during my time with the elderly. I genuinely enjoyed spending time in their company and now I want to learn the skills to really be able to make a difference. Nursing is a profession and a vocation. I believe I can take on both sides of this career. Without professionalism care will not be good enough but without compassion and interest in the welfare of patients nursing would not be the career I have set my heart upon. Perhaps I could have achieved better results in my leaving certificate but this year has helped me mature as a person and I certainly have developed determination as a student. I know that I am ready for, and excited by the challenges and opportunities that studying nursing in the UK would bring.

• Liverpool John Moores University Adult Nursing Conditional Offer (Successfully Pass Course) Firm Choice
  • Brighton University Adult Nursing Conditional Offer (Successfully Pass Course w/ 3 distinctions) Insurance Choice
  • Robert Gordon University Adult Nursing Conditional Offer (Successfully Pass course with 5 distinctions to include A&P, Human Growth & Development and Intro to Nursing)
  • Edge Hill University Adult Nursing Rejection
  • Canterbury Christ Church University. . Withdrew Application (As LJMU was my first choice)

• Introduction to Nursing: Distinction
  • Anatomy & Physiology: Distinction
  • Safety & Health at Work: Distinction
  • Communications: Distinction
  • Work Experience: Distinction
  • Presentation Methods: Distinction
  • Information Technology Skills: Distinction
  • Care Provision & Practice: Distinction
  • Human Growth & Development (Psychology): Distinction
  • Occupational First Aid: Distinction

I am an applicant from Ireland and my grades are from a FETAC Level 5 course in Ireland.