Applied biomedical science degree personal statement example (1a)

My interest in bioscience has been growing with me ever since I was teenager. As a student at school I really enjoyed studying Biology, Chemistry and Anatomy. Being a student of Applied Science at college gave me an opportunity to be more familiar with Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Math and I graduated with A level. During the four years at college I developed my knowledge in the field of science particularly in the lab where I was fascinated by chemical and biological procedures. What amazed me most in the lab was the complexity of human body, DNA, organisms, microorganisms and chemical reactions and that was the reason which crystallized my decision to choose a course in relation to science at university.

In 2002 I was accepted at university in Iran as a nurse and I studied four years. At the first year, studying the foundation of the human body structure and Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and immunology helped me to broaden my knowledge in science field. Over the next three years of the course I learned a huge number of skills about diseases and their treatments. In 2006 I graduated as a registered nurse (RN). Three months after graduating I began to work in a burns hospital in my city and worked there for six months. Working with burns patients also taught me how to communicate with patients who have special care requirements.

Then I changed the hospital and started to work in Cardiac Care Unit (CCU). Working in CCU lasted one and half year and was a superb opportunity to obtain experience. I learned to work both in a team and individually. Gradually besides the care, I found out how to diagnose the diseases and identified what kind of medicine is needed for every heart illness. In the CCU the thing was interesting for me was diagnosing heart diseases by analyzing blood and other samples such as blood viscosity, blood sugar, triglyceride, cholesterol and so on which are highly significant in cardiovascular diseases. Over eighteen months working in Heart diseases ward I realized the importance of laboratories and their rules in NHS and other careers like pharmaceutical companies and food industries.

In 2008 I immigrated to the UK because of the political situation in Iran. The UK NARIC organization accepted my degree as a bachelor equivalent and since then I have been improving my English language in ESOL classes in Glasgow and now I am working as an interpreter for Global Language Services Ltd. As the passion in science has always been with me I have decided to expand my knowledge in biomedical science field. At the moment I am doing HNC Applied Science course at North Glasgow College to be ready for doing this course at university. I also work as a volunteer for a Diabetes centre. A career in biomedical science will allow me to integrate thoroughly my passion for science into a public-service framework. As for hobbies, I enjoy reading and surfing the Internet. I research about the medical system in the UK and health standards. As I believe that health is in physical fitness, doing exercise in the gym is another of my interests.

I am hard working and compassionate, but more than anything I am extremely committed to expand my knowledge in biomedical science. I understand that this is a career with many demands, but I know that I possess the energy, determination and to withstand these difficulties and to become a valuable member of the science profession.

• Glasgow Caledonian University
  • Strathclyde University
  • West of Scotland University