Archaeology degree personal statement example (1h) UCL offer, unconditional offer

I have always been curious about ancient human cultures and customs around the world, their ongoing impact on modern life, and the methods we use to acquire knowledge about them. Accordingly, Archaeology seems the perfect discipline for me.

In view of the interdisciplinary nature of archaeology, all three of my A level subjects have in some way prepared me for its study at university. As part of my A2 English Language module, I attended the ‘Evolving English’ exhibition at the British Library that looked into the Nordic and Norman invasions of the British Isles and their influence on the structure and vocabulary of English. This has since enabled me to think about the language’s development in relation to the discovery of artifacts by archaeologists.

Biology A level has also equipped me with concepts of relevance to archaeology. In particular, we investigated lab techniques of the kind used in the analysis of DNA, which coincide with the methods employed to uncover the origins of ancient DNA samples brought to light by archaeologists. The mapping of the genetic code of a 4000 year-old hairball found frozen in Greenland to produce the first ancient human genome (that of a dark-eyed man with dry ear wax who was prone to balding and relatively free from fungal or bacterial contamination!) is an obvious case in point.

As for Geography A level, it too has equipped me with useful background knowledge for a degree in Archaeology, especially insofar as it has acquainted me with the natural erosive processes occurring in riparian, glacial and arid environments: any archaeologist planning a dig in such areas would need to know precisely the kinds of things geography has imparted to me.

Even Philosophy encouraged me to consider the meaning of the “state of nature” and the significance of religion to society – both of which are relevant to the work of an archaeologist.

Among my leisure activities, I am a keen blogger (vide: tljace.wordpress.com) on an eclectic variety of themes, many related to archaeology, and a regular subscriber to London Archaeologist. Once my decision had been made to apply for archaeology courses, I tested my liking and aptitude for the subject by attending a residential training dig with the York Archaeological Trust at Hungate. This gave me experience in planning, categorising finds, and conducting practical geophysical surveys, and also introduced me to methods of dating and conserving artefacts.

During my time at secondary school, I have been an energetic participant in extra-curricular activities. I ran the Geography Society to help inspire younger pupils to take an interest in diverse cultures and causes, I helped organise my school’s festival on Inspiring Women, and I regularly attended meetings of the Biomedical Society which addressed topics ranging from nutritional science to LCT gene mutation. In my spare time, I enjoy running, pilates and dance.

I have undertaken work experience at two charities: a two-week stint at the Starfish Greathearts Foundation, which supports the children of AIDs sufferers, and ten days at Freedom From Torture, which assists torture victims from all over the world. I also worked for a year on the literacy project at the Cambridge School, helping children with learning difficulties. I have not yet decided which path I will take in my archaeological career, but I am sure that my time at university will clarify this.

• University of Bristol (Archaeology BA) - Offer (Unconditional) Insurance
  • University College London (Archaeology BSc) - Unconditional (ABB) Firm
  • Durham University (Archaeology BSc) - Offer (AAB)
  • Cardiff University (Archaeology BSc) - Offer (Unconditional)
  • University of Edinburgh (Archaeology MA) - Withdrew after UCL offer

• Geography (A2) - A
  • English Language (A2) - A
  • Biology (A2) - B
  • Philosophy (AS) - A