Chinese studies degree personal statement example (1a) with year abroad

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

From my first memories, China has been a huge part of my life. Since the year I spent living in a Communist era apartment in Nanjing, China has left an indelible mark on my identity. My first experience of formal education was in a Taipei playschool but it was the contagious energy and forward-looking attitude captured my heart after another year in Nanjing a decade later. China is also fascinating from an academic perspective. On the back of a suspect human rights record and miraculous economic growth, China has become a world power in 30 short years. Just thinking about how that can be encourages me to transform a passion into a degree.

Necessary to any serious future in China is the ability to operate in Chinese. Starting during my second year in Nanjing and continuing via enrichment classes and further trips to China, I have experienced how rewarding it is to progress in such an alien tongue. Just being able to banter with a taxi driver was incredibly gratifying. However, my Chinese is in the infantile stages, which I am keen to change. Likewise, my study of pre-Mao China remains cursory so I would relish the opportunity to expand upon that as well as my knowledge of Chinese literature. Similarly, in order to properly comprehend what modern China is like, it is important to have an appreciation of classical history and language. The obvious cultural wealth of Beijing is evermore amazing when one considers the chaos the city underwent during the Cultural Revolution. Clearly, even Mao placed importance on the remnants of classical China, and therefore it is necessary to understand classical Chinese not just attain better literacy but also to better understand China.

Lastly, I look forward to a greater comprehension of the Chinese state of mind. Despite frequent outbreaks of turmoil, the economy is one of the fastest growing in the world. The elder generations have undergone Japanese torture and Maoist chaos. How China can thus be an emerging superpower is remarkable. From rulers such as Mao to writers such as Wang Shuo, the revolt against tradition has been both damaging and rejuvenating, as John Pomfret illustrated in his book, Chinese Lessons. To me, unraveling such complexities is simply fascinating. Indeed, my entry to the Julia Wood prize, “Taiwan: Democratic Blueprint for the People’s Republic?” allowed academic license in the wake of exams.

My wider education has introduced me to good study habits. The experience of coursework demanded hard work and accuracy but it was my struggle with the source-based History course that led me to see the need to research with discretion, also useful in distinguishing between fact and spin during my politics course. The study of authors such as Chinua Achebe made me realize that subjects often span beyond narrow definitions; it was the social commentary provided by these authors that was so fascinating. As part of my French course, I went on exchange to Montpellier. This provided an opportunity to apply my language skills in a practical situation. Beyond this, I had to engage in a very different routine and lifestyle, challenging and this developing my self-organization and communication skills as well as immersing into a different culture. The most important lesson I learnt was that perseverance pays off, for it was in the end a very enjoyable experience. Outside of the classroom, writing for the student newspaper developed my sense of teamwork with deadlines fast approaching. It was also a wonderful excuse to indulge in international affairs, focusing primarily on Middle Eastern politics.

The attraction of university is the opportunity to evolve. The year abroad will develop my sense of self-responsibility but it is the chance to immerse myself among like-minded people and learn new skills against the backdrop of a subject that I have loved since my first years that is so profoundly attractive. For me, this is simply the next exciting step towards a future in China.

• University of Oxford (Chinese Studies)
  • The School of Oriental and African Studies (Chinese Studies)
  • University of Manchester (Chinese Studies)
  • University of Leeds (Chinese and International Relations)
  • University of Sheffield (Chinese Studies)

• Unknown