Civil engineering degree personal statement example (1g)

Living on the banks of the River Tay the story of the Tay rail bridge disaster was told to me as a child. Growing up I became very interested in the reasons for the collapse of the first bridge and the technology behind the success of the replacement. This began my interest in how structures work and has developed into a fascination with how the world around us is shaped by modern science and major engineering projects. Physics, maths and computing have always been my favourite subjects and as I realised that these were the basis for the study of engineering it became clear that this would be the perfect area for me to study and develop into a future career. I won my school’s computing prize at standard and higher grades, and have now chosen to concentrate my studies on Maths, Physics and Applied Maths at advanced higher. My school does not teach Applied Maths as part of the normal curriculum, however I am grateful that they have given me the syllabus and materials to teach myself. In teaching myself I am developing vital organisational and independent study skills, preparing me for life at university which demands a lot of personal study, research and learning.

To pursue my interest in engineering I attended a Head Start course at The University of Cambridge. I enjoyed this opportunity to learn more about all aspects of engineering, taking part in lectures, experiments and lab work. This fuelled my enthusiasm to study engineering and I particularly found the structures lectures and laboratory work fascinating.

This summer I spent six weeks carrying out a Nuffield bursary project in the Engineering and Physics department of the University of Dundee. I taught myself the Matlab computer program to enable me to plot the intensity profiles of Gaussian and Bessel laser beams. The research aimed to describe how a system known as optical tweezers, which trap microscopic particles using laser beams, functions. I collaborated with two other students who worked in a laboratory building optical tweezers, and found the challenge of working alone stimulating but also found it rewarding to be part of a successful team. On completion of the experiment I submitted a report and poster detailing my findings which was presented at a celebration event at the Royal College of Physicians to academics, parents and students. Although initially daunted, I discovered that I relished the challenge of explaining my results to experts in the field.

I am working towards a new qualification: the Scottish Science Baccalaureate. As I have a great interest in how science and engineering can be instrumental in the successful future of our environment, my interdisciplinary project investigates solar energy and its uses in schools. In particular I will look at how the structure of a building affects the benefits of solar panels.

Through my interest in maths, I was introduced to the world of economics and after reading recommended books on the subject, I became passionate about the topic and enjoy looking for examples in everyday life. This led to my involvement in my school’s young enterprise group where I was voted Managing Director. This has further raised my awareness of commercial management and economics in business and I hope to involve this in work on engineering projects in the future. I actively participate in school life and was elected School Vice Captain by teachers and pupils. I have many responsibilities such as creating prefect rotas, chairing the school Ceilidh committee and motivating and encouraging my peers in school activities. As part of the Mondialogo team which reached the final 25 teams from almost 2500, I gained experience and confidence in presenting information to large audiences.

After University I plan to work towards Chartered Engineer status. Ideally I see myself working on large structurally challenging building projects and aspire to work in the management area of a company with responsibility for both staff and finance.

• University of Oxford (EEM)
  • University of Edinburgh MEng Civil Engineering and Management)
  • Dundee Univesity (MEng Civil Engineering)
  • University of Glasgow (MEng Civil Engineering)
  • University of Aberdeen (MEng Civil Engineering)