Classics degree personal statement example (1c) Oxford offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

The decision to study Classics at university was for me a very simple one; the breadth of things that can be studied make it the area in which I want to specialise. My interest in all things classical started when I joined secondary school, I found studying the ancient languages novel and very rewarding. Being able to understand both Latin and Greek has given me a sense of the lives of the Ancient Romans and Greeks. After a trip to Italy to visit the Colosseum and the haunting city of Pompeii, I found that being amongst the magnificent sites created by the Romans only went to stimulate my love of comparing my life to those of the ancients.

One of my main areas of interest is verse, from Catullus whose poem 'Odi et Amo' with its fascinating and almost amusing contrasts, I first encountered in a Latin lesson to Ovid's 'Amores', where I got a sense of the role that love played in the lives of ancient society. The contrasts that Ovid brings out throughout the 'Amores' such as in 1.9 where Ovid writes 'militat omnis amans' are thrilling. The clear contrast of lovers serving as soldiers is an interesting and yet very believable comparison to make between love and war. I can certainly say that it was stimulating to read and provided me with an insight into understandings about love. I am also interested in Greek art, in particular the Parthenon friezes. Having worked on an essay about use of colour in ancient art, I found it very interesting to discover that the marbles seen in the British museum would have been beautifully coloured.

Having started learning prose composition at the beginning of Year 12 I found that I thrived in the rigorous challenge that it presented. I would love to have the opportunity to develop my skills of writing in an classical language. I believe that the solid basis I have already got in the language will make demanding tasks manageable and enjoyable. At the start of Year 10 I made the decision to learn Ancient Greek GCSE outside of class, unable to resist the lure of a fascinating and complex language, and after two years of hard work and determination, through one lunch time lesson a week I achieved an A*. I know I have the determination and desire to further my development as an independent student of the classical world..This felt like a foretaste of independent study I might encounter at university.

I am taking 3 A levels and I have found that by studying a non-classical subject I can compare the impact that Classics has on understanding the world around me. The scientific subject has enhanced greatly my skills of analysis that I know will help in future projects. It has also allowed me to gain a deeper insight into how the world around me is composed and how it is in the process of changing. I know that skills of analysis and conceptual understanding as encouraged in scientific work will help me throughout the course. I run both the Lower School Classics Club and the Classics Film Society, and I love encouraging Classics throughout our school. I enjoy running both clubs, especially Lower School Club as it gives me an opportunity to get a range of people more enthusiastic about Classics. I am also a Lower School Prefect; this has brought out qualities of leadership and communication by guiding and supporting the younger students.

For the past few years I have found a second home in the British Museum. Of course the Elgin marbles are the highlight, placed in their vast and empty room which highlights their beauty. A particular scene that I find moving and beautiful is on the east frieze where the folding of a sheet of cloth is seen, this simple task is beautifully highlighted with the draping cloaks of the people in it. It is clear to see why an insight into the lives of the Ancients can touch our understanding of our own lives, language and society. I know that I shall further my own knowledge and experience by studying the literature and culture of the classical civilisations

• Oxford (Classics 1) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • Edinburgh (Classics) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Kings College London (Classics) - Offer (AAB)
  • Royal Holloway (Classics) - Offer (ABB)
  • UCL (Classics) - Rejection

• Latin (A2) - A*
  • Ancient Greek (A2) - A
  • Biology (A2) - A
  • French (AS) A

Going to Oxford in October.