Computer science and Btec business degree personal statement example (1a) Btec, Kent offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Society is in a rapid state of change, driven by technology. Such changes are evidenced in human activities - from designing a spacecraft to booking a taxi - and require the skills, not only to keep up with the change but also, to solve problems that are associated with the changes.

My interest in the study of deeper aspects of computing is underpinned by my passion and desire to provide solution to real - life problems using computers. Learning programming languages to solve complex problems is my lifetime ambition. I have started working towards relishing this ambition and demonstrated programming skills I have not restricted my love for computers just to the classroom.

Recently, I have designed two websites that have been published for my school and my aunt's restaurant. I also do a lot of programming in my spare time. I felt I needed to challenge myself by using the programming skills that I have acquired over the years and design something, and that is when I took on the challenge of building my very own virus. Don't worry; it was for home use only. It was very demanding but I felt motivated to pursue this and I eventually completed the virus after three days.

This taught me an important lesson about Computer Science that with determination, commitment and persistence, I can achieve my goal. Pursuing a degree in Computer Science would help build my skills in wider areas also prepare me for a career in Computer Scientist. To me, studying Computer Science as an undergraduate has a meaning that is more than an academic subject because it is, without a doubt, an integral part of the community we live in today.

Throughout my entire school life, I have been intrigued about computers. I can always remember wondering how they worked and what else they are can do. My fascination for computer has never left me; instead, it kept growing with me and has greatly influenced my choice to study BTEC Business Studies in Six Form. I studied subjects that include: Accounting Systems and Internet Marketing. These subjects have links with modules of Computer Science and have broadened my understanding of analysis and evaluation.

The use of Algebra and Data mining has allowed me to prepare for the many mathematical challenges posed in and around computer science. I have found topics like algorithms and iteration to be particularly interesting. Other units in the course required me to work as part of a team and this has helped enhance my ability to play an influential role in a team as well as solve problems. I have showcased these qualities when I was placed on work experience at the reputable retail chain CEX.

Away from my academics, I enjoy reading and have read articles from 'Computer Science Magazines' especially on the use of computers in marketing research, and applications to areas of accounting, financial reporting an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP). I was really intrigued about an article in the (IEEE) Computer Society on how computer programs are being used by utility companies to transform their businesses; especially in SMART Metering and data gathering on market intelligence.

I have enjoyed the two years that I have spent in sixth form through academic and out of class activities. I was the deputy head boy and Prefect for ICT. I feel this gave me the chance to be a mentor for the younger students and it also helped me improve my leadership skills. Throughout my seven years spent at the school, I was involved in charity fundraising and participated in various entertainment events held in the school.

This helped in bringing out my interpersonal skills; a skill that I never thought I possessed. I strongly believe I have the academic background, passion and the positive mind-set that is required to undertake undergraduate studies in Computer Science. I hope I would be considered for selection to enrol on the course and look forward to relishing all the challenges Computer Science will pose at degree level.

• University of Kent (Computer Science with an Industrial Year) - Offer (DDM) Firm
  • University of Lancaster (Computer Science with an Industrial Year) - Offer (DDM) Insurance
  • University Reading(Computer Science with an Industrial Year) - Offer (DDD) Conditional Offer
  • City University London (Computer Science with an Industrial Year) - Offer (D*DD) Conditional Offer
  • University of London, Goldsmiths (Computer Science with an Industrial Year) - Offer (DDD) Conditional Offer

BUSINESS (BTEC EXTENDED DIPLOMA) - Predicted Grade - DDD

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide