Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
  • Personal Statement:Computer Science 24

TSR Wiki > University > Applying to University > Personal Statement Library > Computer Science 24

Contents

Computer Science 30 Personal Statement

The challenging, problem-solving and logical aspects of computer sciences are some of the many reasons why I want to study this at university. I have always had the ambition to do something related to IT even from as young as eight years old. Computer Science is the only degree that matches my interests, whether it be programming, Operating Systems, A.I, software engineering or database systems and many more. I have the desire to learn more and improve my knowledge, learning new things in IT is passion of mine; I would do anything to increase my knowledge of IT, as the industry continues to develop.

My current course has made me more committed to study a degree in computer science, with many of the units giving me valuable experiences into what computer science could be like. A major part of the course is to learn about programming, it wasn't easy at first; it was like learning a new language. As time went on I started to love solving complex problems in programs, the harder the project the more determined I was to get good results, and even when I had the result I would go over the code and see if there was any way I could improve it. One of the projects I did for programming was to design a simple computer game with moving objects. This then brought me to "Object-oriented programming". I had to design and program objects to act on certain instructions and then do something based on that requirement. This taught me that logical thinking and creativity can come together to make a program.

Another area of the BTEC is learning about networks. One of our projects was to connect all the PC's together to make our own LAN. This taught us about the theory behind connecting them and also the physical aspects of connecting them to the router and switches. We were expected to carry out this exercise as independent learners which I enjoyed. We were also required to set up a DHCP server and also the subnets addressing for the different networks which then allow all the computers to be connected and also share data, information, Hardware, and resources.

Outside of college, I try to develop my knowledge and skills in many different areas of IT. At home I have set up my own network and mange 6 PC's, which have access to files and resources (printer). I also decided to set up project for myself in web development and wanted to know how to make a simple user-database. From using tutorials online I had developed a simple and easy user-database system in PHP. I wanted to use Dreamweaver as my coding application and then use Apache as my web server. This was challenging because I had to be motivated to get it completed. It also taught me lot about PHP and MySQL with it being server sided scripting language. This wasn't something I was used to and this made me more determined and confident that I could finish it and learn more. The project was a success and I continue to add features to the code with the more I learn about CSS and PHP. I am committed and passionate to learn more about I.T. I watch the news and read articles which are based on technology, I am always on top of what new technology is coming out and when it's released.

My dream for the future includes studying for either a post-graduate course in Computer Science or doing a PGCE, which would enable me to pass on my skills to others. I live on a small Island that doesn't have a big IT industry and a small infrastructure compared to the UK; I want to be able to work with advanced technology and learn as much as I can and I know I must leave Jersey to be able to do this. This is something I am looking forward to and am excited to do.

• The University of Nottingham (Computer Science G400) - Offer (DDM) Insurance
  • University of East Anglia (Computer Science G401) - Withdraw
  • King's College London (University of London) (Computer Science Year In Industry) - Offer (DDM Specific Units Required) Firm
  • University of Sussex (Computer Science G400) - Offer (DDM)
  • Lancaster University (Computer Science G404) - Offer (DMM)

• Achieved all Distinctions in the BTEC

Nearly a year on from writing my Personal Statement, and i can see how many errors i made, a lot of the stuff i have typed i shouldn't of including.

Just note for students who are applying lectures/teachers will know you love computers and probable have done so since young age, talk about something else!

Read some extra books increase your knowledge! My personal statement was written by me and i could of done so much better but i ain't complaining i got into my firm :)

I have to say, it's a good personal statement. I'm not sure why you have your forum signature state "NOT", it should be similar to your statement for those who wish to apply for a computer-related degree. Could you please highlight the areas in which you think shouldn't have been added? Also, what bits do you think you forgot to mention?

Thank you.

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

177,219
essays

21,695
mindmaps

25,221
revision notes

11,682
quizzes

create
a study planner

thousands
of discussions

New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates