Computer science degree personal statement example (2b) Manchester offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

Since first being introduced to QBasic in secondary school I have been intrigued by how computers can be manipulated to work for us. The way in which computers continue to change the world is astounding and I wish to be a part of it. My desire to learn led me to study Visual Basic to the point where I could create fairly complex programs (at least more than the ‘Hello World’ we were doing in lessons) and it continues to guide me towards a university course in Computer Science.

I pursued my interest both inside and outside of school by opting to do AS Computing in year 9 and learning C++ using online tutorials. I am currently learning Python in preparation for the school’s first entry into Student Robotics for which these experiences have given me a solid foundation. I have always wondered why I enjoy programming so much but I now recognize that it comes down to the application of logic and the thrill gained through solving a problem. Working through BIO papers and problems on Project Euler as well as participating in the Mathematics Olympiad and EU Kangaroo on multiple occasions has allowed me to nurture this passion. Along with my interest in the theory behind computers I also have an enthusiasm for the practical side of computers. Having been exposed to the age old problems of CPU and GPU throttling at ‘LAN parties’ from a young age; I have come to see the physical limitations of computers and the methods used to reduce the impact these have (namely overclocking). I have seen and participated in building computers for years and this has translated into building custom computers for a price.

My interest in the fundamentals of the computer was sparked by the study of assembly languages but has evolved over the years, from studying how conventional computers work and the extent to which they can improve, to looking into radically new approaches to computer development. After watching an episode of BBC’s Horizon I was introduced to the world of quantum computing and after researching it in more depth I was left stunned. I have since read multiple books on the topic including ‘Computing With Quantum Cats: From Colossus To Qubits’ by John Gribbin which gave me a detailed overview of the history of both computing and quantum theory as well as an insight into how the two are being combined to create computers. Having used a physics project as an opportunity to research the basis of quantum theory I proceeded to investigate the potential practical applications.

In my A2 Computing project I created an interactive learning environment for the school Chemistry department which had to store data pertaining to students’ marks. I therefore created an encryption algorithm using ASCII codes which was promptly tested by my mathematics class attempting to hack the data. This made me appreciate how important secure data encryption is and highlighted just how revolutionary quantum technology will be if it can be harnessed. However, this is unlikely to happen in the near future and so it may be the development of graphene transistors which is the next step in computer enhancement. Although my interest lies in physics I also completed two weeks of work experience at the University of Warwick Computer Science department in which I looked at the applications of computers for identifying cancer cells in biopsies using MATLAB. I found this alternative side to computing engaging and realised the significance of computer automation in all fields.

Outside of lessons I relish the chance to prove my responsibility as part of the school’s prefect body and mentoring younger students in form times which has taught me how to work with people of all ages and backgrounds. To relax I play hockey at school and club level and the game has led me to understand the need for teamwork and decisive leadership.

I feel that a university environment will allow me to thrive and studying Computer Science will prepare me for a successful future in the computing industry.

All straight Computer Science

Manchester University - Offer (A) Firm

Sheffield University - Offer (B) Insurance

Bristol University - Offer (A)

Exeter University - Offer (A)

Cambridge University - Rejection (Pool)

In Yr 12

Maths (A2) - A* Computing (A2) - A Chemistry (AS) - A Physics (AS) - A

In Yr 13

Chemistry (A2) - A Physics (A2) - A Further Maths (A2) - B

Getting ridiculous offers doesn't help you motivate yourself to do work in yr 13 :(

Reviewer comment:

• Section on BBC Horizon is excellent and shows an active interest and explains some of why it interested the applicant, although this could be expanded further

• Paragraph about the experience at the University of Warwick is also very good but could be further expanded as above

• Lots of randomly capitalised words

• Tone is too informal

• Some bracketed statements should be removed

• Some sentences are unclear near the end and show an interest in physics rather than computer science

• Final sentence is cliched

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.