Criminal psychology degree personal statement example (1a)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

I have decided to start this statement with an episode that happened when I was 4 years old. It is interesting how the facts of this event can define me as a person. My stepfather had these dubious friends and I could always see the difference. They were always at the house making themselves too comfortable for my liking. Once, a friend of his showed up unannounced and as always, he was offered drink. My mom told me that I was able to read his intention and that I stood beside him, took the bottle, and went to store it. His reaction was of complete wonder of how a little girl had easily unmasked his bad traits when her daddy could not. Throughout the years, I adopted that approach, constantly observing people, always skeptical of somebody's intent before getting involved.

One day I realized I could do something with it. I knew I wanted to pursue a career in Psychology but I also wanted to do something related to crime. I admit that the media influenced me a little. At some point, it all fell together and I knew a wanted to study criminal psychology. I had already taken Psychology in my senior year, which I truly enjoyed. It helped me clarify many stereotypes and misconceptions I had. I learned so much, and the topic I found most interesting was the study of the brain and how it mostly comes down to chemical reactions. I am looking forward to know more about criminal behavior, how it relates to Psychology, its causes and what can we do to reduce it effectively. In fact, I would like to work with troubled juveniles and with prisoners.

I am an international student and the reason why I want to study in the UK, is that the possibilities are endless and I can have access to a better higher education without feeling trapped with the lack of options. Studying in the UK will also allow me to grow personally and academically. In addition, it will be a huge opportunity to get to know a new culture. I am a very organized and hard working person. Always committed with every project I undertake. I like to listen to as well as to help other people in every way I can. I also know how to work in a team. I think that my strongest points are that I am a very humble, responsible, and reliable person. I try to be dynamic and flexible, doing several things at the same time but with attention and carefulness. What is more, I work well under pressure and tight deadlines. I am confident I will be successful as a college student.

After graduation, I took a gap year. I got a job to help me financially, and in the meantime, I took an English course to improve my language skills, and did voluntary work. I currently work as a volunteer at a local charity. It has been a rewarding experience since I have been helping my community to do better. In addition, I got to contact with troubled kids who live in unstable vulnerable environments. I help them make better choices, trying to steer them away of crime life and vandalism. I was able to make them see in me a model to follow, that with willpower we can get anywhere.

In work experience, I worked as an assistant hairdresser. Where, I learned how to pay attention to details and to listen to the customers, both crucial and main skills for my future career. One of my many hobbies is martial arts. Practicing it allows me to channel all my attention towards what is revolving me, specially my opponents. It also provides me discipline, concentration, and mostly control. Improving these skills increases my mental, emotional, and physical well-being. In our short lifetime, we have to risk.

I am stepping out of my comfort zone, so I can fulfill my dream career as a criminal psychologist. I am hopeful you will give me a chance to learn, to grown and to be able to make a difference in society. Because I believe in myself and I am truly hoping, you will too. Getting into university, will also be a major achievement as I will be the first person to do so in my family.

• Nottingham Trent University (Psychology with Criminology) - Rejection
  • University of Sunderland (Criminology with Psychology) - Offer
  • The University of Hull (Psychology with Criminology) - Offer - Insurance
  • Keele University (Criminology and Psychology) - Offer - Firm
  • Sheffield Hallam University (Criminology) - Offer

Grades

Grades not supplied