Dietetics degree personal statement example (1c)

My love of Dietetics began when I was a young girl. I liked to read magazines about diets, healthy eating and lifestyle. I once read a fascinating report about a Dietician’s work and it showed me how interesting the profession was. From this moment on I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Food, science, people and medicine are subjects which have always interested me and I studied Dietetics for one year at the Science and Business College in ??????, Poland. I completed the course with an overall grade of ‘very good’. During the course I gained a lot of experience, knowledge and interpersonal skills. Now I know how important the work of a Dietician is and how essential it is to keep my knowledge up-to-date as I progress through my career.

At the end of my course my team and I spent 8 days doing voluntary work in ?? ?????. It was an amazing time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I spoke to Dieticians, Doctors and Patients and I worked with a group responsible for patients with different diseases. As a result of this experience I have become more confident and more determined to follow my dream.

Patients, to me, are individual and different and I believe my personal qualities of openness, understanding and patience are vital for successful communication. I found working for the health service fascinating and it certainly made me even more ambitious to become a Dietician.

I have also helped some members of my own family to keep healthy and fit by passing on to them my knowledge of the importance of following a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. It is good to know, when they say ‘thank you’ that my help is appreciated.

I further my knowledge by reading books and science magazines relevant to my subject and I glean information from dietician’s websites and forums. In my spare time I also attend a gym which gives me a great opportunity to learn more from fitness instructors, nutritionists and anyone else who can give me advice.

It has been my dream for many years to study abroad. British universities are the oldest and best in the world and I know that here I will have the chance to gain very good qualifications, knowledge and skills. It is an excellent place to improve my English and make friends worldwide. I took a gap year to come to England and I would like to continue my education here. Everyday in this country I gain more experience and improve my communication skills. I become more mature, more independent and more responsible.

When in the future I complete my undergraduate qualification, I would like to go to the USA, or a Mediterranean country to do postgraduate course. I look forward to becoming a Dietician and using my skills in the UK and the developing world. I would like my parents to be proud of me and if my dream becomes reality it will be the most wonderful thing in my life.