Economics degree personal statement example (1l)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Throughout my time at "name of" College I involved myself in both academic and extra-curricular activities which succeeded in giving me a strong position from which to choose a career path. I decided to study Business Studies & Economics at GCSE because it complemented my interest in current affairs. I immediately developed a fascination for the subject and decided that I would take it on to A level, where my enthusiasm for the subject was such that I managed to attain the second highest mark in the country. I also thoroughly enjoyed studying for the Certificate in Financial Studies qualification, which I completed in my spare time. In addition to this I also took the Diploma in Financial Studies qualification to give me a broader and greater understanding of the financial world, achieving one of the top 10 marks in the country. These factors, especially the relevance of the course to modern society, have encouraged me to apply for Economics at university.

As part of my work experience I worked at four finance companies. These provided me with an insight in to the commercial side of Economics and Finance, including mortgages and insurance as well as experience in a range of other financial services. They involved visiting stockbrokers and financial planners, with whom I constructed financial portfolios in mock case studies and learnt how to use the administration software. To develop a more diverse work experience base I also shadowed a barrister. In addition to the above I enrolled in courses and activities that were orientated around Economics, such as the Young Enterprise competition, winning the British Telecom award for best team at the Christmas trade fair. In Years 10 and 11 I established an internet-based business that involved the wholesale purchasing of virtual goods and redistribution using various international contacts in the USA, China and Japan to help find potential buyers and sellers. This was both successful and lucrative, enabling a significant proportion of the profits to be donated to charities. During my final year at school, I captained the "Shares for Schools" investment competition in which students are entrusted with the school’s money, attempting to maximise its worth by using the stock market. I also represented my school in the “ifs Student Investor” competition involving over 40,000 students, in which my team reached the national final and achieved fifth place in the country.

I am working within the UK at present which will enable me to fund voluntary work abroad. I am considering involvement in the conservation of kiwis in New Zealand. When I return I plan to gain a stock market investment qualification.

I was a member of the School Council, a student body that involves itself in the operations and future planning of the College, representing the students' interest in school affairs. I was also a House Captain with the role of organising many House activities. I took part in numerous activities and sports that still play a major part in my life. I play tennis regularly, as well as rugby, hockey and swimming, representing my school in each. I have been an avid water skier from the age of six, and have gained a power boating qualification as a result of pursuing this hobby. I enjoy being below the water too, achieving the “PADI Open Water Diver” qualification. This was completed in conjunction with charity work, on an expedition to Honduras last summer. I also completed a First Aid course, arranged by the CCF. I have a great interest in music, specifically singing, which I intend to advance to grade 7 in my GAP year. I have been involved in concerts and performances throughout Devon.

I believe that my statement demonstrates that I am enthusiastic, creative, reliable and committed. I look forward to my university career and the associated responsibilities and challenges it will present.