Economics degree personal statement example (1p) LSE offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

The essence of economics is to distil complex processes into simple, workable models of resource allocation that yield convincing arguments and useful predictions. However, on exposure to reality, transformation is inevitable; economic 'laws' are constantly tested, remodelled and developed. This continual refinement appeals to my analytical disposition.

The recent recession has intensified my interest in economics and a policy that caught my attention was quantitative easing. I believe that Mr King was right to introduce the policy, as it was able to add liquidity into the system; besides it was unlikely to be inflationary in the short-term as there was such a large output gap. As a result, I chose to do my EPQ on the question 'Are economic recessions inevitable?' In short, I concluded that a nonchalant attitude towards risk-taking, for increased prosperity, based on an overly optimistic outlook induces a recession.

Globalisation is often seen as a remarkable process, yet in 'Globalization and its Discontents’; Joseph Stiglitz shows how reality can greatly differ from principle. The most intriguing part of the book was on China's refusal to support IMF policies. This contributed towards its subsequent stellar economic growth. However, my greatest concern is that Stiglitz seems to attack government and IMF policies rather than showing the drawbacks of globalisation. Furthermore, attendance of lectures at the LSE and talks held by Vince Cable, have borne out the contradictory nature of economics, which has heightened my curiosity.

Being a mathematician, one of my favourite sections of economics is Game Theory, particularly, its application in oligopolistic situations. The concept of 'Prisoner's Dilemma' has helped me to understand why there may be an outbreak of price wars amongst suppliers. Additionally, having attended Morgan Stanley's Financial Mathematics Day, I learnt to appreciate the sheer complexity and elegance of the Black-Scholes formula for option pricing.

I collect funds for the SHARE Foundation which is used to build care homes for the elderly in Sri Lanka. I chose to support them because even from a strictly economic perspective, building care homes is very worthy as not only does it improve the infrastructure, but also provides local people with jobs which can help improve growth within the country.

Attaining the rank of Black Belt in Choi-Kwang-Do required immense determination and skill. My desire to be the best was rewarded when I was given the chance to teach martial art classes, a role that I relished. Likewise, I played a leading role in steering my team to the National Finals of IFS's Student Investor Challenge. The competition cemented my teamwork and organisational skills as we had daily discussions on how micro and macroeconomic events might affect the markets. Playing chess, cricket and table tennis have taught me patience, perception and intuition. Being an active member of various school councils has facilitated the development of my communication and listening skills.

The current global crisis has strengthened my belief that economics is truly a fundamental part of society. Studying economics will undoubtedly enrich my knowledge, as well as deepen my understanding and enjoyment of worldly affairs. I believe the qualities I possess: a strong aptitude, commitment and enthusiasm, will enable me to gain a valuable economics degree.

• LSE (L100) - Offer (A*AAE) Firm
  • UCL (L100) - Rejection
  • Warwick (L100) - Offer (A*AAA)
  • Nottingham (L100) - Offer (AAA/AABB) Insurance
  • Birmingham (L100) - Offer (AAB)

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Further Maths (A2) - A
  • Economics (A2) - A*
  • History (A2) - A*
  • General Studies (AS) - A
  • EPQ - A*

Reviewer comments:

• Great section about your interest and the link to the EPQ topic. This section shows how a recent event has sparked curiosity and interest and that the applicant was inspired to research further through the EPQ.
  • Excellent paragraph on globalisation. Linking to a book, the applicant shows their interest outside of school through discussing what they learned and how this inspired them to go to more lectures on the topic.
  • Extra-curricular section is a bit too long, aim for 20%.
  • Some parts of the structure are a bit choppy

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.