Economics, finance and management degree personal statement example (1a)

The world without economists is like buildings without supporting columns. I am convinced Economics provides a back bone for all societal functions. My interest in Economics commenced during my year in Ethiopia. I was fascinated by how Ethiopia, with a lower GDP than Nigeria, still had a well maintained functioning airline and a more stable electricity supply. Other questions stimulate my curiosity. What is impeding Sudan from being able to harness its hydroelectric power to produce an abundant electricity supply? After carrying out some research, I became aware that there are treaty agreements between the nations of Sudan and Egypt restricting the use of the Nile. These are useful insights into disparities which exist amongst nations. I have developed a profound interest in economies and their governing systems.

At the end of my GCSE's, I received awards for excellent performance in my Child Development and Geography exams. In my spare time I like to teach myself Arabic and Spanish. Currently, I am working on an Extended Project Qualification relating to Economics, Politics, and Management. I have chosen to carry out research on the various impacts the newly industrialised Chinese economy has had on societies in Sub-Saharan Africa. From Chris Alden's Book: 'China in Africa' I have already discovered that in Nigeria, the entrance of low-cost Chinese retail goods has undermined the marketability of competing goods. On the contrary however, China has also provided Nigeria with technologies such as communication satellites which Nigeria had lacked for years. With such examples in mind, I hope to discover if the role of China in Sub-Saharan Africa has been positive.

Through each of my A level subjects, I am developing skills needed to analyse and monitor socio-economic trends in areas such as global development. My study of Sociology has offered a useful grounding into inequalities, deprivation and how government policies have influenced decision making. It has assisted me to understand various conflicts that are associated with government policies. The austerity measures adopted by the Greek parliament in response to its debt crises intrigues me. Although high excise taxes on inelastic goods such as cigarettes, alcohol and fuel help in generating government funds, they may lead to a greater disadvantage. This may include the rise in black market trades as businesses try to evade high taxes. As a result, government failure may occur.

As an Eco-monitor at school, I ensured that various recyclable wastes were disposed of appropriately. A footprint, no matter what size, I believe has its own impact on the environment. I have applied this to the world of economics, hence the reason I work voluntarily in Oxfam to help with its fair trade cause. Being the Assistant Librarian at school, I have become very involved in the school's administrative duties. Furthermore, as the current Curriculum prefect, I am involved in allocating mentors for younger students and organising events for charity week, therefore teaching me about responsibility and time management. Having been exposed to different education systems over the years, I have adjusted to changes in the various environments, therefore indicating my versatility. My training as a volunteer Peer-Educator at Barnardos has helped me in developing as a person. In addition to the personal reward I gained, it has also helped develop teamwork and communication skills as I have been involved in advising youths about various issues such as drugs, health and peer influences.

Having been born in Nigeria, lived in Ethiopia and currently in the UK, I have become more aware of global and economic inequalities. At university, I relish the opportunity to understand these various economic principles, theories and hidden social patterns. Furthering my education to become a development economist is my ambition. After all, ambition without knowledge is like a boat on dry land.

• Queen Mary London (Economics, Finance and Management) - Offer(AAB) Firm
  • University of Surrey (Economics) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Warwick (Economics) - Rejection (A*AA)
  • University of York (Economics) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Kent (Economics) - Offer (ABB) Insurance

• Economics (A2) - A*
  • Sociology (A2) - A*
  • Mathematics (A2) - B
  • EPQ (AS) - A

-Be genuinely interested in the course you're applying for as it makes writing the personal statement easier.