English degree personal statement example (1e) with review

After careful consideration and consultation between my parents, tutor and teachers, I have chosen to apply for a degree course in English, as it is a subject for which I have a real passion, and would be useful for a future career in the media industry. I am currently studying A-Level English Language, and the course has enabled me to develop knowledge of interesting issues relating to the English language. For example, an intriguing topic I studied, involved the study on how each gender uses language, leading to interesting topics of discussion. I also looked at language used within the media industry, allowing me to develop an insight into journalistic styles of writing. I have also extended my linguistic skills, and am able to carry out in-depth textual analyses. English is a subject I have a real enthusiasm for and is a subject I'd like to continue studying

Alongside English, I am currently studying A-Levels in Media Studies and ICT, both of which I enjoy immensely. Media Studies has enabled me to have some experience of the work and issues involved in the media and is another subject I have a real interest in. The course has given me a useful insight into how the media works and the production techniques and values contributing to the creation of media texts

There have been many assignments that have been enjoyable. For example, I produced my own mock supplement for a Sunday newspaper, including celebrity pages and film reviews, using my linguistic and writing skills to my advantage. I also worked in a team to produce a short documentary on fast food consumption in the UK. I believe both projects were successful, achieving quality end products

In ICT, I have explored various multimedia packages and issues surrounding the computing industry, informing me on the role of communications in society. A favourite project of mine was designing a software package on Microsoft Excel. I decided to create a fantasy football competition for a secondary school, providing a comprehensive system for the students. I was proud of the end result and received the highest mark in the year

I believe I have achieved a lot during my education and have enjoyed the subjects I have studied. With my determination and willingness to succeed, I believe I am responsible enough to handle the transition to university life. I was selected to represent the Media Studies department in my college's prospectus, to inform future students about the course. I also represented my secondary school in a Mathematics Masterclass and was also picked to be a political party leader in a mock school general election, which involved speech writing and preparing manifestos as part of the campaign

Outside of my academic studies, I enjoy participating in sports, particularly football, of which I am a keen player and supporter. I also enjoy tennis and have been awarded certificates to a high level at swimming. I believe my participation in sports has allowed me to develop important teamwork and organizational skills. Other hobbies of mine include listening to music and playing chess. I am also computer literate, and often use the Internet, allowing me to develop web design and programming skills

In conclusion, I consider myself to be a dedicated and committed student, with an excellent attendance record and I am excited at the prospect of studying English at degree level and looking forward to getting into university life.

After careful consideration and consultation between my parents, tutor and teachers, I have chosen to apply for a degree course in English This is unnecessary information and makes it sound as if you were unsure about applying for English as it is a subject for which I have a real passion Passion is a clichéd word, and would be useful for a future career in the media industry. I am currently studying A-Level English Language, and the course has enabled me to develop knowledge of interesting issues relating to the English language. For example, an intriguing topic I studied, 'Check your grammar here' involved the study on how each gender uses language, leading to interesting topics of discussion. Elaborate on this I also looked at language used within the media industry, allowing me to develop an insight into journalistic styles of writing. I have also extended my linguistic skills, and am able to carry out in-depth textual analyses. English is a subject I have a real enthusiasm for and is a subject I'd like to continue studying Try not to repeat words like 'subject' too much'. You haven't mentioned a single text or author which interests you and therefore haven't demonstrated your interest in wider reading

In ICT, I have explored various multimedia packages and issues surrounding the computing industry, informing me on the role of communications in society. A favourite project of mine was designing a software package on Microsoft Excel. I decided to create a fantasy football competition for a secondary school, providing a comprehensive system for the students. I was proud of the end result and received the highest mark in the year This isn't related to your chosen subject. You've dedicated three paragraphs to ICT and Media. Ideally it should be one paragraph

Outside of my academic studies, I enjoy participating in sports, particularly football, of which I am a keen player and supporter. I also enjoy tennis and have been awarded certificates to a high level at swimming. I believe my participation in sports has allowed me to develop important teamwork and organizational skills. Other hobbies of mine include listening to music and playing chess. I am also computer literate, and often use the Internet, allowing me to develop web design and programming skills Stay focused on your subject. In general you have too much info about extra-currics and outside interests

In conclusion This is very formulaic and GCSE essay style, I consider myself to be a dedicated and committed student, with an excellent attendance record and I am excited at the prospect of studying English at degree level and looking forward to getting into university life.