English degree personal statement example (1i)

I have chosen to apply for an English based course because I have always found the subject rewarding and fulfilling. I take a keen interest in all aspects of literature, and my A-level subjects have aided me in the appreciation of all texts. I find classic literature particularly stimulating, and through my English Literature course, I have developed a love of John Donne. My work experience in a theatre also ignited a thespian desire to perform, and I have had experience in two major roles in school plays. I am studying to take an advanced S-Level English course, which I hope will prepare me for degree level English, as well as further broadening my reading. I wish to study English at university, as I believe it will assist me in my intended media-based career

My interest in literature also fuels my desire to travel. Inspired by my Modern History classes, books such as 'A Dance Between Flames' and Cold War spy thrillers, last summer I took a tour around eastern Europe and Russia. I am an experienced traveller and I have found that travelling has broadened my horizons, and made me a more mature and independent person. It has also developed my communication and diplomatic skills as well as improving my spoken German. I have taken part in a German exchange whilst at college, and have independently visited a family in Germany many times, I enjoyed the challenge of communicating in German, as well as embracing the German culture. I believe that knowledge of foreign cultures is vital in the study and appreciation of literature. A recent college organised visit to the Oberammergau Passion Play and neighbouring Berlin and Salzburg has encouraged an interest in theology, which I intend to continue within my English course

Roles of responsibility such as Deputy Head Girl at school, involvement in a paired reading scheme and one years experience in a steady part-time job have refined my organisation and developed my communicative skills. Outside college and work, I enjoy a varied and full social life, I am a keen theatre-goer and fitness fanatic, I take part in weekly pilates classes which help to ease tension and stress

I also take a special interest in music and film, and especially enjoy festivals and concerts. My love of film centres around Hollywood classics, although my Media Studies A-level encourages me to explore contemporary alternative films on offer

I am a hard-working, determined student, who enjoys life and the trials and tribulations it brings. I believe that I am well suited to an English based course because my pastimes and interests are centred around the subject, and I find it thoroughly enjoyable