Personal Statement - English and History 3

English and History Personal Statement 3

Both English and History have influenced my thinking and interests in the past few years, and they are my major courses in the upper secondary school.

Germany's guilt for the millions of dead Jews in the Second World War incited me to learn everything about our past and I asked myself: "Are we still guilty?" It fascinates me to see how history considerably influences the present and I am eager to broaden my knowledge about European and American history to provide well-founded and skill-intensive opinions, critical thinking and the ability to reflect our present. One of the topics in which I take a great interest is Europe in the 19th Century, including Napoleonic France. The rise of imperialism and the development of interconnectedness of political decisions within a system of alliances fascinate me. I am convinced that the study of History to a high level satisfies my eagerness to learn from the past.

At the age of 12, I discovered my great passion for English. The lack of literature in my English courses encouraged me to enlarge my horizons and I started studying English literature far beyond the mere course content. I enjoyed reading modern authors, for example Salman Rushdie or T.C. Boyle. Today, writing and reading English has become routine, and I recently finished Shakespeare's "Macbeth". The significance of Literature appeals to me because what history misses to express, is the voice of the society and the fears and thoughts of people. As a writer, I am also enjoying the use of language and what can be expressed through it. The influence of the English language seems unlimited and states a great part in many societies. I have always been fascinated by the connection of societies through the mutual basis English offers.

The combination of English and History provides the connection between our past and present, and I am keen to enhance my analytical and critical thinking concerning my future plans as a journalist.

Within school I develop my communication and teamwork skills. As a prefect, I am member of the school council and use to work together with other prefects to represent the student's interests and improve the learning environment. I also gained the opportunity to improve my leadership and organization management as the leader of our yearbook's group, and I greatly enjoyed the work with other people. Communication therefore plays a major role in my work and I am looking forward to improve my skills by studying at university.

In my free time, I pursue my affection for drawing, writing and photography. I am always working on projects to develop my self-motivation and creativity. I write articles for a local newspaper, through which I had the opportunity to encourage myself to set personal challenges and improve my self-expression. As a board member of our local sport shooting club I coach 10-16 year old children and help organizing trips we take regularly. Through my voluntary work I am able to improve my skills and responsibility continually even outside school, which are aspects that are very important for the chosen courses.

Studying in England as an international student would fulfill my greatest dream and open up the greatest challenge I have ever met. An English university provides the best chance to achieve English skills at the highest stage. Furthermore, I am eager to become acquainted with the British culture and society and gain new experiences.

My passion to English helps me improving my language skills very quickly and I therefore believe that I am a well-suited student, determined and willing to work hard to reach my aims.

• Essex - Offer
  • Hull - Offer
  • Oxford Brookes - Offer
  • DeMontfort - Offer
  • Nottingham Trent - Offer