Personal Statement - English and History 5

English and History Personal Statement 5

The written word has always fascinated me. Books and writing hold a special meaning, as they give a valuable and unique insight into the life and, even more importantly to me, the inner thoughts of another. The experience gained during my A level English literature course has further honed my abilities in this area, introducing me to a wide range of not only new literature, but new ideas. I have gained greater skills in analysis, and have enjoyed reading and commenting on everything from Chaucer to Shakespeare to Annie Proulx. My reading outside this course has taken me far and wide, from modern fantasy to historical fiction to Classics, such as Jane Austen and the Bronte Sisters.

Whilst English has given me the insight that I so crave into the minds of others, History has been just as valuable in fulfilling this desire. People’s lives, be they fictional or historical, fascinate me, and I have truly enjoyed my A level History course, especially those parts relating to Medieval and Renaissance Europe and Britain. I find the Tudors particularly intriguing as I feel that the dynasty, most especially Elizabeth the First have changed the course of history and gained immortality in their actions. I find this difference between those who rise and thrive and those who live their lives in obscurity particularly fascinating. I am also very interested in what little is known about Arthur Tudor, as I feel that he could have been a great king but for the intervention of fate. My sojourns into the minds, thoughts and feelings of others has also been aided in my course in Philosophy, which opened my eyes to the many different views held around the world, past and present.

After completing my undergraduate degree, I wish to go on to gain qualified teaching status, and have the opportunity to offer my skills back to the community.

My interests extend beyond the academic field. Recently, I have completed a range of London School of Music and Dramatic Arts certificates, in Reading for Performance and Speaking of Verse and Prose whilst also scoring highly in a variety of Speech and Drama festivals, in both Bible reading, prepared reading of Prose and recitation of verse. Exercising my dramatic talents on stage, I have taken part in a range of productions, including The Pirates of Penzance, Les Miserables, A Midsummer Night’s Dream and A Christmas Carol, as well as working backstage. These experiences of the theatrical world have provided me with a strong sense of confidence in myself, trust and the ability to work in a team. Broadening horizons has been a main aim in my studies and other activities. Having lived in the Middle East for much of my life, I have had the opportunity to witness another culture first hand, and become totally immersed in it. This has not been the limit of my experience of diverse traditions and cultures, having travelled to many parts of the globe, in North America, Asia and Europe. I try to immerse myself in everything there is to offer, including helping in a Polish speaking riding camp for young children, presenting some problems with regard to the language barrier! This has not been the only volunteer work I have done, having helped with other children’s clubs and doing voluntary work for the Church. My summer job working as a shop assistant has given me a taste of the perseverance necessary to complete a course at university, not to mention the valuable social skills gained from working in a team, including helping to train new employees.

These experiences, I feel, have helped prepare me for university life and undergraduate study. I think that I will adapt well to life in university residences, having already spent time at boarding school, and look forward to the opportunity to further my education.

• Dundee - Offer
  • Lancaster (accepted) - Offer
  • Newcastle - Offer
  • York - Offer