Personal Statement - Fashion Marketing and Promotion 2

Fashion Marketing and Promotion Personal Statement 2

I am drawn to the endless possibilities of fashion; the idea that someone can fully express themselves through their clothes captivates me. Fashion plays a major role in my life, from my part-time work to my leisure time; I always seem to have a hunger for fashion inspiration and ideas. I am currently studying a Level 3 BTEC diploma in Business and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I am on track to achieve distinction stars at the end of the course due to my active approach towards my learning and my excellent attendance. Through studying Business, I became fascinated with the business and marketing side of fashion and I am intrigued with the marketing strategies and what motivates the consumer to buy a fashion product. Thinking in an unconventional way has always created my most successful ideas and I know that this will work to my advantage when studying Fashion Marketing and Promotion. For example, for my AS Media Studies coursework, I designed a DVD cover for a horror film aimed at female teenagers. Following extensive research I found that there was a huge market for female teens but they were overlooked because the Horror genre tends to be male orientated. I also found that this particular market was into the Gothic Scene so in my design, I used colours like black and red since they appealed to that particular scene as well as being associated with the horror genre. Although this is not directly related to Fashion, I understand that to successfully create and market a product, a company has to carefully consider what market they are targeting. Through employment, I have gained an insight into the world of high street fashion. I have been employed by numerous high street fashion retailers including H&M, Primark and Next. I was amazed by the difference between the companies. I found that Primark functioned at a very fast pace compared to H&M who were very laid back towards the shopping experience. However there were some similarities in their subtle but effective marketing techniques, for example the way they encourage impulse buys. H&M used big bins of accessories in the till area to tempt customers while they queued for the till. Primark had piles of baskets scattered throughout the store. While I was employed at Next, I found that they used the same technique in Primark, especially in the infamous end of season sales. In the sales, the staff were required to hand large plastic bags to the customers upon arrival. This encouraged customers to just throw in products because they were cheap and by the time they got to the till, they had filled the bags which generated a larger income for the company. I am currently employed by Dorothy Perkins as a Sales Assistant. As well as the usual duties of a Sales Assistant, such as customer service, stock rotation and tidying the shop floor, I have also gained extra responsibilities in this job such as marking down sales and merchandising. Along with my job at Dorothy Perkins, I am also doing voluntary working in a local charity shop, I find this very rewarding as I am giving my time freely while making a positive contribution to the community. I am very grateful for the amount of work experience I have had as it has helped me to improve skills such as team working, initiative and achieving targets as well as proving that I can managed my college and working life successfully. All of these skills will prove invaluable both at University and working in my chosen profession. Along with looking at fashion magazines and blogs in my spare time, I particularly enjoy photography, it's a good way to channel my creativity by allowing me to go out and capture beautiful images. Music is another passion of mine and I enjoy attending concerts and music festivals whenever I can. I am looking forward to attending University and I know that I am ready to face the challenges that it brings. Most importantly, I am excited for the new experiences while taking a step towards my dream career.

• Manchester Metropolitan University (Bsc Hons International Fashion Marketing) - Conditional Offer (DDM) Firm
  • University of Northampton (BA Hons Fashion Marketing) - Conditional Offer (DMM) Insurance
  • University of Central Lancashire (BA Hons Marketing Management with Fashion) - Conditional Offer (DDM) Declined
  • University of Glamorgan (BA Hons Fashion Promotion) - Rejection

BTEC Extended Diploma Business Studies: DDD