Personal Statement - French 2

French Personal Statement 2

French has always been my favourite subject and I am very excited by the possibility of dedicating myself to the study of the language and culture of this beautiful country during my time at university. Knowledge of a foreign language is a very useful skill to have and that, coupled with the range of subjects that can be incorporated into a languages degree, such as literature and history, have led to my choosing this subject.

During lessons, I find translation to be my favourite aspect of the subject because of the different ways that people choose to interpret certain words and the impact that this can have on the text as a whole.

In terms of independent study, literature is where my interest lies. I have read “Les Miserables” and “Notre-Dame de Paris” by Victor Hugo with the aid of parallel texts and found both books to be powerful and vibrant works. Hugo is a very interesting writer in the sense that, with his novels, you do not just get a story but a wealth of information and opinion on things which quite often have little bearing to the novel as a whole. This is incredibly interesting and leaves one feeling satisfied but also tantalised upon finishing.

Further to this, I enjoy improving my listening skills by watching French films with my favourites being “A bout de souffle” and “Les Choristes.” I also enjoy reading familiar children’s books (e.g. Roald Dahl) to aid my reading skills and learn new vocabulary.

At school, I participate in a range of extra-curricular activities. Last school year, I studied Chinese and found this to be an inspiring, if challenging course. I also took part in the Young Enterprise scheme with some friends. Through this I learnt to manage my time effectively and also improved my ability to work in a team. Our group finished the year in profit and were described by our teacher as one of the best groups she has seen. Finally, I run the school debating society, and am an avid debater myself having been a member since joining the school in year nine. We debate about current issues and it is very rewarding to see the progress that our younger members make over the course of the year. Debating is something that I would very much like to carry on with at university.

I also play the piano to grade 5 standard and love the challenges that this presents. Fitting my practice around school and other commitments has only emphasised the need for planning and prioritising; two skills which should be very useful at university.

This summer, through school, I was given the fantastic opportunity to participate in an exchange visit with a French family. Whilst organised with the help of my French teacher, it was not a school trip as such and I travelled alone and spoke only French. This was my first time participating in an exchange and was an incredible experience because I was able to fully immerse myself in the French way of life. The highlight of my stay was probably our visit to Paris. We went to Notre-Dame cathedral which was a very moving experience, especially after reading “Notre-Dame de Paris.” To see the place where Hugo’s novel takes place is to breathe new life into the novel and give it so much more meaning. After having witnessed Notre-Dame’s immense power and beauty I would have readily believed Hugo’s story to be entirely truthful! My French teacher commented that my grasp of French was improved following the visit; I am very proud of this and plan to work hard in order to retain my speaking skills. The final benefits of this exchange are a good friend who I hope to remain in touch with and a new found confidence and independence when dealing with unfamiliar situations.

University is something that has appealed to me for as long as I can remember and a course in foreign languages is, for me, the only way to spend the next four years of my life. By the end of the course I would love to be able to read Hugo’s works in their original language and am prepared to work very hard to achieve this goal.

• Birmingham - Offer
  • Durham - Offer
  • Leicester - Offer
  • Bristol - Rejected
  • Oxford - Rejected