Personal Statement - French and German 3

French and German Personal Statement 3

A degree in modern languages provides someone with the opportunity to communicate with people of different cultures and backgrounds. As the world around us changes, it has become advantageous that the working population speak a tongue other than their own. For me, however, the chance to 'get ahead' in the job market is greatly supplemented by a chance to perfect my knowledge in an area I greatly enjoy.

The French language is one that influences both the worlds of business and international relations as well as those of fashion and food. My A Level course has involved topics on the environment and popular culture giving me both relevant vocabulary, and the chance to explore areas which are not usually studied in other subjects. The study of immigration in the modern world is the section which has interested me most and has led me to consider a future career in diplomacy. Decisions in places such as the EU and UN change the lives of people and is something I desire to be involved in whether through interpretation and translation or civil service work abroad.

I have always sought to extend my knowledge beyond the A Level specification whenever possible and so was keen to take advantage of the opportunity to undertake a week's work experience in Rouen. Working in a restaurant meant that I had the opportunity to converse regularly with a variety of people. My confidence in handling the language whether through understanding or speaking has vastly increased. Throughout the week my knowledge of French allowed me to face new situations. For me the experience was invaluable and allowed me to have a taste of where my language skills could lead in the future. I developed relationships with those I worked with and still regularly speak with them, therefore continuing to develop my fluency.

Being part of a family with both English and German cultural influences, I have grown up deeply fascinated by the differences between cultures. I travel independently to Germany to visit relatives and friends at every opportunity that arises.

I am also an active member of the school community. Producing the school newspaper 'Abbey Alive' for three years has required dedication and commitment, something which I believe is essential for success in language learning at degree level. Working towards deadlines and in a team with others was essential to obtain a pleasing final product. Being a history mentor in Year 12 has helped me learn how to succinctly explain events to others who are unsure or lack understanding. In Year 11 I was made a prefect and now as a senior prefect I am in a position of responsibility within the school itself. This, I feel, has pushed me to increase in maturity and step forward when extra help is needed both in and out of school.

In my spare time I volunteer as a Young Leader at my local Brownie pack, running ninety-minute sessions for girls aged 7 to 10 years. Leading and arranging the meetings has developed my organisational skills, something which I have been able to transfer into school life, through prioritising and efficiently working through my workload.

I am under no illusions that a languages degree involves a lot of hard work and dedication, something which is shown through my 11 year membership to my church choir. I currently hold the position of Head Chorister, which involves being responsible for the organisation of the younger choristers. This has helped make me more confident in taking on a leadership role and speaking out when something needs addressing or discussing.

Goethe once said: "He who does not know foreign languages does not know anything about his own." A degree in a foreign language leads one to personal growth in understanding of not just other cultures, but their own. Hard work and dedication are essential and are something I feel I have shown through my in and out of school activities, along with a great enjoyment and aptitude for French and German.

• Aberystwyth University (German/French 4 Years - RR12) - Offer (280 UCAS Points, with a B in French) Insurance
  • University of Liverpool (French and German - RR12) - Offer (BBB, including French)
  • University of Bristol (French and German 4 Years - RR12) - Offer (AAB, with an A in French)
  • University of London Institute in Paris (ULIP) (French Studies - R110) - Offer (BBB, including B in French) Firm
  • Newcastle University (Modern Languages - T901) - Offer (AAB, with A in French)

• Psychology (A2) - B
  • French (A2) - B
  • History (A2) - B
  • Business Studies (AS) - C