Personal Statement - Graphic Design 5

Graphic Design Personal Statement 5

I have always loved making things since I was young when I used to spend all my time making pictures for my family. Over time my creativity has grown, and I have explored various paths involving art and design such as cake decorating, jewellery making and textiles. However, as I started GCSE my career choice became much clearer, as graphic design was my favourite subject, and still is at A level; my love for drawing and painting turned into a love for designing, as my skills progressed and I started to develop an individual style of designing. I enjoy creating new and unique designs, and how other people react to my designs and appreciate what I have created. I am a really creative person but I also bring an intelligent, detailed and organised approach to my designs as I like to thoroughly plan, and have a structure to any project before I start. The freedom of having the potential to create anything is what attracts me to this course along with how I enjoy seeing my work grow from an initial idea to a finished project.

In order to learn more about the processes involved in a designing company I have organised work experience at an architects. I am looking forward to taking part in this during February half term. From this I intend to gain a better understanding of the teamwork involved with a design project.

In August I took part in a trip organised by college; ‘Expedition Sri Lanka’, where me and nine other students raised £1500 each to volunteer in Netolpitya School as part of the Adopt Sri Lanka organisation, to help schools recover from the effects of the tsunami. I was the only student that managed to raise all of the money myself. I did this through car washing, a sponsored walk, clothes collections, school plays and cake, home-made jewellery and various other sales. This took a lot of commitment to the project, as I helped advertise, organise and supervise each event. It was my job to design and make the posters that would publicise the fundraising. The group fundraising helped me develop my team working skills, along with time we spent helping the children in the school. While in Sri Lanka, we helped the children improve their English language skills and taught them about our culture and country. From this life changing experience, I learnt to be more patient and understanding while trying different ways of communicating with and teaching the students, as I was determined to keep them interested and learning throughout the time I was there.

This helped towards me getting my fifty hours volunteering award along with helping at a local primary school, where I helped children with various arts and crafts projects. I took small groups and supported them with their drawing and painting, giving them ideas and encouragement with the craft projects. I learnt how to deal with different children, including how to react to their behaviour, effort and work. I am currently working towards a second award throughout year 13, so I will have a total of one hundred volunteering hours. For this I am helping in a cooking club at a local secondary school, and peer mentoring GCSE students in graphic products. I really enjoy helping the GCSE class as I am able to observe various design styles by the different students. Solving the students’ problems and answering any question they have is challenging but extremely interesting and it has taught me different ways of overcoming design issues, usually involving CAD. From all my volunteer work it has further reinforced my decision that I want a career working with other people, specifically in a design industry.

I enjoy bike riding in my spare time. By doing this daily, I have built up my stamina dramatically, and I can now ride further and faster without feeling tired, and I am determined to keep this up to further improve my stamina. I feel this course is the right choice for me, as it will allow me to further develop my design skills and apply them practically while working to set design briefs. I am excited about the range of career opportunities that will be available to me, and the prospect of continuing using my creativity throughout my career.

• Unknown

• Graphic design (A2) - A
  • Maths (A2) - A
  • Further Maths (A2) - A
  • Physics (A2) - A