Personal Statement - History 16

History Personal Statement

It began with tales of gory mummies and eccentric monarchs, but my fascination with history has long endured the days of my “Horrible Histories” books. The impact of such a socially influential discipline throughout my own personal and academic life has fully convinced me of my desire to pursue history at degree level.

Growing up in London and living in cosmopolitan Hong Kong has exposed me to immense cultural diversity, broadening my appreciation of the international scope of history. However, this has also consequently left me struggling to identify with my Korean roots. Through the revelations of my heritage from reading about the Korean War and Japanese occupation, I have personally experienced history’s role as a vital emblem for one’s personal and national identity. Visiting Sachsenhausen concentration camp, an exemplary scar rendered on Germany by its tragic past, also confirmed my perception of history’s timeless importance in the wider world, and its vital role as the liaison between our present circumstances and past mistakes.

Being essentially a study of humanity, I believe history cannot be fully appreciated without developing a certain sense of empathy for the people living and recording the events of their time. This has influenced my choice of wider reading – for example, in studying Russia’s tumultuous past century of revolution and violence, Orlando Figes’ “A People’s Tragedy” has encouraged me to look beyond the basic conflicts of politics and ideology, and to analyze history from the wider public perspective. John Keegan’s “The Face of Battle” also employed this social approach by searching beyond the tactics and methods of military history to explore the human motive and experience behind the phenomenon of war itself.

Receiving the conflicting views on the Korean War from my British textbooks and the personal experiences of my grandparents also intrigued me about the nature of history itself – how endless speculation and opposing theories can rise from trying to explain just one single event in time. My other A-Levels complement the diversity of this interpretive discipline by equipping me with a wider, interdisciplinary approach to history. I treat Literature as a part of history itself, as its themes and content are often reflections of their contemporary eras. Studying Webster’s “Duchess of Malfi” has prompted me to read Lacey Baldwin-Smith’s “Treason in Tudor England”, which explained how Tudor education, attitudes and political machinations manifested themselves in the corrupt society depicted in the play. Interestingly, I have also found Biology to share much with History’s judicious approach to evidence appraisal in proving a hypothesis, showing the relevance of its transferable skills of critical analysis and evaluation to history.

I feel my extra commitments also justify my aptitude for this degree. Being yearbook editor has disciplined me for independent study as it demanded much responsibility, organization and time management, but competing for my school sports teams has also developed strong teamwork skills. In addition, Debating and Model United Nations has trained me to argue my opinions with oral and written fluency, while retaining an open mind to others’ views. In an age fixated with building for the future, the true meaning and value of history is often buried under Hollywood blockbusters and shallow cultural references. Pursuing this degree, I believe, will aid my eventual goal of using the professional media experience from interning at Oxford University Press and the South China Morning Post to promote history’s vital message to the wider world.

• Oxford-AAA incl. History (Firm)
  • UCL-AAA
  • KCL-AAA incl. History
  • York-AAA incl. History
  • Nottingham- AAB incl. A in History (Insurance)