Personal Statement - History 21

History Personal Statement 21

History is the study of how the world we know and experience today came to be. Although there is only one past, there are several interpretations of it. The study of the processes of history allows us to understand ourselves and others; and even sometimes provides an opportunity to predict the near future. This is what makes history so interesting to study. Having studied it for 3 years, my passion for it only grows stronger with time.

Since childhood I have always loved History and through High School I knew this was what I wanted to study at University. I am currently doing my Bachelor’s degree in History at University of Copenhagen, Denmark. I am a dedicated and diligent student and attend extra lectures whenever possible. For example, I recently attended an optional lecture conducted by Christopher Bayly of Cambridge University. During my studies I have found my specialisation within the field of history to be the evolution and features of imperialism - particularly the British Empire – how some small rainy islands off the north coast of Continental Europe came to conquer and govern distant lands such as Australia and India. Having studied for a semester in Australia and travelling to places such as India, the Middle East, Asia, the USA and most of Europe, I feel I have tasted a great range of the world’s different cultures and histories. I find the Impact of imperialism in these regions extremely interesting. I currently have a job at the Danish Ministry of Education in which my analytical and communication skills are being used, also improving my skills as a history student.

Throughout my studies at University of Copenhagen I have tried to focus on Imperialism and the British Empire, whenever the courses allowed me. Last semester I wrote on the plague epidemic of 1896 in British India and this semester I am doing my BA- dissertation on the West Indian Sugar Trade in the British Empire, both topics I find extremely interesting.

The optional courses I would be interested in taking would be: Module 7SSWM109: Navies & Seapower, Module 7AAH5003: The British Empire, Module 7AAH4008: Transition to colonialism in India, Module 7AAH2012: European Expansion: Ethnic Prejudices and Civil Rights (1500-1850). – They are all connected to my passion of Imperialism, but I feel they cover many different aspects. I also think it could be interesting to imply Kristian Erslevs methodology, which is the core of Danish historical methodology today, in these courses.

My long term ambition is to progress towards a Ph.D and eventually teach at university level. To be able to live of my closest and strongest passions is a great motivation for me, and ensures that I will continue to be a dedicated student in the future.

An offer from Kings College would allow me to test my abilities at the highest level, something I feel I am capable of. Furthermore, King’s reputation, resources and surroundings would fit perfectly into my expectations and ambitions of an MA degree in World History and Cultures. What place would be better than studying Imperialism and the British Empire than at one of the world’s best universities in the heart of London?

• King's College (MA History)