Personal Statement - History and Politics 3

History and Politics Personal Statement 3

History is a subject that has always enthralled and interested me. I am fascinated with how events have shaped the world around me. What intrigues me the most is how a single event can change everything. As a result, I would love the opportunity to study History at degree level. Studying History has increased my love and interest in the wider world. Discovering how nations, cultures and attitudes have changed, how different people react to political parties and the effect changes in government have on the world around us fascinates me. Arnold Toynbee said: "History is a Greek word which means, literally, just investigation." History is always open to interpretation because we do not know all the motives and reasoning behind actions; that is why I want to further my study of History. I have always been very intuitive, analytical and inquisitive about the world and the past which is why I believe that History is the right subject for me. I hope to become a secondary teacher of History in order to instil curiosity and investigative skills in others.

I am studying History, Drama and Theatre Studies and English Literature. The three subjects are all analytical and open to interpretation which is why I enjoy them. My AS year enabled me to develop skills such as the importance of evaluating evidence. I particularly enjoyed the Politics unit in History as it coincided with the UK General Election, which allowed me to see first hand the changing nature of the political world. English has been supportive to studying History and has taught me valuable skills such as the need for finding evidence; it also opened my eyes to new perspectives and interpretations of language. I particularly enjoyed preparing coursework; it taught me to be independent in my research and to form my own perspectives. Drama is a subject that I have loved since GCSE. Again, it is a subject that allows for creativity, interpretation and analysis, it teaches confidence and independence. It allows creative freedom which is incredibly important to me. My favourite part of the Drama course was the review of the play 'Jerusalem' which allowed interpretation of set, characters and voice. It enabled me to express myself analytically which is a valuable skill when studying the discipline of History.

I volunteer at a local museum which enables me to learn more about local history. In addition, I have a weekend job at John Lewis in the Beauty Department. It has taught me the importance of human relationships and to be confident in myself and my abilities. Holding down a weekend job whilst studying has helped me learn the importance of time management. In addition, Remaining spare time is spent reading up on the past. My favourite book is Hitler's Gamble by Giles MacDonogh. I am intrigued by the World Wars, particularly in trying to discover the motives and reasoning behind the Axis alliance. I am also interested in the Romanov family of Russia and the role the Bolsheviks played in their demise.

I have a great love of fashion and beauty. I am also interested in youth culture of the 1980's and how it impacts on our experience today. In school, I have been involved with a number of events as a member of the Sixth Form community. I have volunteered in a classroom to help the younger years and it has also helped me to re-establish what I want to do once I have finished university. I helped to direct a school production which is something else that has taught me the value of time management. I have helped to lead a retreat for the Year 7 pupils and I have also been involved with counselling the younger years in a peer mentoring scheme.

History is a subject that evokes emotion and intrigue for me. This is why I wish to have the chance to study it at university.

• Lancaster (History and Politics) - Offer (ABB)
  • Keele (History and Politics) - Offer (300 points)
  • Portsmouth (History and Politics) - Offer 280 (Points inc B in History)
  • Canterbury Christ Church (History and Sociology) - Offer (260 Points)
  • Aberdeen (History and Sociology) - Rejection

• 260 UCAS points