Personal Statement - Journalism 6

Journalism Personal Statement 6

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think."

That, perhaps, sums up the entirety of the power of words; to influence, to spread ideas, to make people think. That is what Byron once wrote about it. But for words to have power, they must first be heard. It is this which every Journalist strives for; to have his words heard. Even if it is just one person stops and thinks. It is this aspect has always driven my enthusiastic approach to the media and now encourages me to seek a degree in Journalism.

As a student, I have always held a strong, deep-rooted affection for the English language; its complexity and diversity. How it, through time, has evolved and developed and has yet to show any signs of slowing. The current subjects I am undertaking - English Literature, History and Media Studies -– have bettered my written style as well as expanding my knowledge of the world; both past and present. These subjects have also given me a valuable insight in to how the world has changed and how events are portrayed through both the Media and Literature. Although I have planned work experience with the local newspaper in the next year, as of yet, I have had little experience to have published work, therefore what experience I have comes from the internet; Forums, Blogs etc. with which I use every opportunity to express my own opinions.

Within the school and local community, I have made many contributions; I was previously a peer mentor, I have in the past helped with the technical aspects of school productions, have aided the ICT technicians with establishing a Virtual Learning Environment and have taken part in the Young Enterprise project. I have also achieved my v50, volunteer award with the youth organisation V and am currently working towards my vimpact award.

Outside of my school life, I am an active member of an Explorer Scout Unit, with whom I am nearing the achievement of my Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award and aim to achieve the silver before the start of university. In addition to this, I take part in a drama group, in which I also hope to achieve my Bronze Arts Award by the time I start university. I also play both the Violin and Bass Guitar at an intermediate level, albeit not quite at the same time.

In terms of more physical recreation, I enjoy long-distance hiking and freestyle-skiing, as well as playing the occasional game of basketball or rugby amongst friends.

My employment, as a kitchen porter, has taught me some key life skills; Teamwork, Working to a deadline, the importance of hard work, Determination and of course, most importantly, the value of money.

In my opinion, I believe I am a thoughtful, well-rounded person who could make a large contribution to the social atmosphere of a university.

In closing, I will say just this; an author once wrote, "The right words can change the world". I just want to try to be the one that says them.

• Sheffield
  • Brunel
  • Chester
  • Staffordshire
  • Northampton