Personal Statement - Journalism 9

Journalism Personal Statement 9

I have always had a fascination with English and the way it can be used to influence people. Many people would describe a journalist as someone who delivers news, but to me it is more than that. A journalist is someone who uses language to not only describe events, but give opinions in a compelling and influential manner.

At school I am currently studying five Highers, which includes English and Modern Studies. English allows me to think critically, analyse the techniques used by both fiction and non-fiction writers and express my ideas and opinions through a portfolio of work. In Modern Studies I am taught to scrutinise political policies, write well-balanced and succinct arguments and identify social issues both within the UK and internationally.

It is in studying these that I have developed an appreciation for literacy, and love for writing. In my spare time I enjoy creative writing and I was entered by my school into the Young Writers Awards held by the Scottish Book Trust. I also keep a regular blog which receives, on average, around 350 unique hits per month. I use this blog to express satirical opinions on a variety of topics such as current events and my personal life. It also features reviews on music tracks and concerts that I have attended.

From a young age I have had a strong interest in reading and writing. I have since grown to enjoy a wide range of media, from broadsheets to tabloids, reality television programmes to powerful documentaries on global issues.

Other than language and the media, I have a variety of interests and hobbies that I personally feel would benefit me with studying and ultimately within the journalism industry. I enjoy playing guitar, which requires a large amount of patience and creativity. When I first started learning to play guitar, I was in a group of people which required teamwork and good communication skills. As my skills progressed, I was also encouraged to work independently. Sports-wise I often enjoy golf and kayaking, both of which require attention to detail, focus and determination. All of these hobbies act as a great way of socialising and relaxing, and I hope to continue these while studying at university.

At the start of my fourth year I was fortunate to gain a work experience as an office assistant for a building systems company. While most of the tasks consisted of filling in spreadsheets, measuring dimensions and photocopying, I was also asked to research the areas where some of their projects were to take place. After researching ordnance surveys, council records and planning permission documents, I was able to discover important information on a few of the projects, such as address changes and problems that may occur with the construction of buildings on certain plots. This, for me, was the most enjoyable part of the work experience, as it helped to develop my research skills and discover new ways of gaining information.

I am hoping that a place at university to study a course that will both challenge and excite me will benefit my future aspirations to work in a journalism setting. While I have a particular interest for broadcast journalism, I would also like to experience working in print and online reporting. I have a strong desire to travel with my occupation and feel that I have chosen to pursue a career which will allow, and possibly require me to do so.

In essence I feel that I'm an extremely committed individual with an enthusiasm to succeed in areas which I enjoy. I have a passion for writing and would love to continue this within my studies and hopefully my future vocation.

• Edinburgh Napier (Journalism) - Conditional Offer (BBBB) Firm
  • Stirling (English with Journalism) - Conditional Offer (BBBB) Declined
  • Dundee (English with Film) - Conditional Offer (ABBB) Declined

• English (Scottish Higher) - B
  • Modern Studies (Scottish Higher) - A
  • Maths (Scottish Higher) - B
  • French (Scottish Higher) - A
  • Physics (Scottish Higher) - A