Law degree personal statement example (2d)

Having dedicated the past 13 years of my life to education, I feel adamant that neither a person’s passion for a subject nor their enthusiasm can truly be expressed on paper. Law is not just a subject that I intend to study, but rather something which I see as being a core part of my person. Unlike other subjects, law is relevant to each individual in every society world wide, though only a select few have a true passion to study it in depth and to base their future upon it.

My interest in Law stems originally from my inbuilt curiosity to examine the world around me in great detail. Although not choosing to study Law at AS or A Level, I study a range of subjects requiring me to apply careful analysis but also to offer my own interpretation, largely through written essays or debate. Philosophy for example, encourages me to look at numerous theories whilst allowing me to think independently about the intricate detail. Continuing to study German has informed me about a culture other than my own and taught me that precision and attention to detail is essential. I find that studying a foreign language broadens my horizons and thoroughly enjoy the additional challenge that it offers.

As my own character has developed, my observations of the injustice that takes place daily have grown from simply acknowledging what is on my doorstep, to truly realising the extent of this worldwide. I have a strong interest in current affairs, currently subscribing to The Guardian as well as The Times Online, which offers exclusive legal columns of national and international interest, written by the leading Lawyers of today. I also regularly write into my local newspaper, having had several letters printed recently. I have always been, and will always be a very determined person and am always willing to explore areas other than what is essential in order to achieve a particular goal. As someone with a humble upbringing, I am a firm believer that neither class nor ethnicity should prevent anyone from being treated equally or achieving their true potential. Within the next year I am due to do several periods of work experience at local law firms specialising in Human Rights and Criminal Law in order to gain a deeper knowledge of working within a legal practice. I will continue to regularly attend public galleries also. At present, to provoke my interest in the field of Human Rights I have been closely researching the cases of suspected terrorists and the treatment that they receive in the UK, most notably the case brought by the family of Jean Charles de Menezes, mistakenly shot dead in 2005. I have also spent time studying how European and German law affects the measures that Germany has taken against terrorism and am currently using this information to construct a piece of coursework.

My interests are widespread. As a strong minded individual, I like to voice my views, and following my position as Head Girl (2005-2006), I am currently Student Governor and take pride in representing my fellow students. These roles have greatly improved my confidence and my skills of discussion, debate and compromise. Alternating between working independently and working as part of a group to achieve a particular target now comes naturally, a skill which demonstrates versatility.

Reading books of varying genres is also one of my passions and having recently passed an Open University module on the works of Shakespeare, I have gained an appreciation of classic works as well as more modern fiction. I currently hold two jobs, firstly as a shop assistant and secondly as a private tutor in English, Maths and Science, thoroughly enjoying helping others and as a regular and active member of an Evangelical Church, I am a dedicated Christian, being part of the worship team as a vocalist and flautist. This is an essential part of my life, integral to my personality, which I believe is friendly and welcoming, yet decisive and focussed on ambition.

Universities applied to:

• Oxford
  • Exeter (Offer Accepted)
  • Warwick
  • Birmingham
  • Cardiff

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide