Law degree personal statement example (3c) Birmingham, Brunel offers

Over the past seven years our society has endured many stresses and strains and with the threat of terrorist attacks looming over our heads Law is now more important than ever. Recent events have had a major impact on the country's legal and security systems bringing both their effectiveness and efficiency under public and government scrutiny. My interest in Law stems from watching these events unfold via the media and considering the difficult but achievable balance between freedom and security. While this was the initial trigger for my increasing interest in both Law and Journalism I have since found other facets of the subject equally interesting; one example is the development of Law across the centuries and the contrast between then and the present day.

I am enthusiastic in putting forward any personal held views on recent issues affecting current society and debating the validity of my point. I am also able to debate for a view not held by myself, with little difficulty, when required. The passion with which I am able to address any subject presented to me has often led past teachers to comment on my suitability for the law profession. My increasing interest in the law has led to a visit and tour of the houses of parliament. I have also taken the opportunity to observe sessions of court cases; one of which was at the Old Bailey.

Because I have developed an interest in Law over the years; I would like the opportunity to pursue this subject at degree level in university. I am certain that I would achieve great success in this field because of my interest and academic ability. To this end I have pursued Law at A Level and also English Literature, Sociology and Religious Studies which have all helped me to place Law in a wider context.

Regarding my record as a student I can say with confidence that I had an excellent relationship with my teachers in secondary school and was in the top 10% of achievers. I regularly acquired awards and commendations from the school and teachers. I was also a peer-mentor for year eight and other children experiencing difficulties. I also participated in the publishing of a student newspaper for which we interviewed Thames Valley policemen and firemen. My year ten work experience was with 'The University of Bedfordshire' and I was one of the few students who found a place without assistance from the school. On completion of the work experience; I received an excellent reference and feedback from my supervisors. The council also awarded me a Gold certificate; one of a handful awarded to those in my year group. At college I have continued to work hard and have continued to have the excellent relationship with tutors; my work and assignments are submitted to deadline without fail and my attendance record for classes is exemplary; as is my participation during classes.

Personally I consider myself a mature, conscientious and friendly person. I have an easy going personality; but I consider myself to be goal orientated. I am an individual and not necessarily a conformist. I enjoy intellectual discourse; be it on serious matters such as current affairs or more leisurely pursuits such as music. I also enjoy creative writing; and have contributed online at: www.fanfiction.net and www.livejournal.com and have had two poems published in 'Teen Ink Magazine'. I enjoy reading classical literature; particularly Jane Austen and I also have a keen interest in some fantasy literature, such as Neverwhere. I am an avid listener to music particularly of the past decades and am especially keen on the band Queen. One of my more indulgent leisure pursuits is all things Walt Disney.

I look forward to this new phase in my life and the challenges it will surely present me with. I anticipate the hard work and dedication which will ultimately provide me with the qualifications needed to prepare me for my for my future career and the invaluable life experiences I am certain to obtain.

• University of Birmingham (Law LLB) - Offer (AAA and good LNAT score) Firm
  • Surrey (Law LLB) - Offer (ABB)
  • Reading (Law LLB) - Rejection
  • Brunel (Law LLB sandwich course) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Kings College London (Law LLB) - Rejection

• English Literature (A2) - B
  • Religion & Philosophy (A2) - A
  • Law (A2) - C
  • Sociology (A2) - C

Student's comments

Birmingham's Law department is one of the best in the country. The university has a very friendly atmosphere and the Law department boasts some exemplary academics.

Brunel's Law department is also impressive and the universities placement and careers center is one of the best. The university is excellent in finding work placements for Law students and graduate employment figures are extremely promising.

My AS grades weren't great as I missed some exams due to medical problems, so a rejection from Kings wasn't surprising. I also made the mistake of deciding to continue with all four of my subjects at A2, in hindsight I should have dropped Sociology - a subject I did not enjoy at all. I was back in hospital during second yr so my grades suffered again. By the time I completed my A-levels I hated Law and decided to pursue a degree in English instead, a subject I have always loved. It worked out really well as I was able to take modules on philosophy during my final year (of undergrad).

Make sensible decisions, don't take on more than you can chew, and never feel you have to go through with a degree just because you've already applied for it.

Reading over the statement almost three years later there are many changes I would make. However it was enough to get me an offer from my first choice (Birmingham).

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide