Personal Statement:Law 86

Law is the backbone of human society, tying together individuals by codifying accepted behaviour. It covers the widest possible range of topics- from marriage to public health to civil liberties, all of which everyone knows something about, but not everything. Studying law means exploring them in contexts previously unthought-of. Law’s effect on society interests me, due to which I follow issues regarding commerce and civil liberties actively. A stimulating field, law will enrich me more than any other course, which is why I wish to pursue it. I’ve chosen to study law in the UK since India’s and many countries’ laws are drawn from common law. Moreover, legal studies in the UK make for a good balance of jurisprudence and practical experience.

From talking to lawyers and law students, I’ve learned that studying law involves a huge amount of reading, analysis and paying attention to detail. It needs a thorough understanding of the economic, political and social environment. A lawyer must also present oral and written arguments in a cogent manner while anticipating opposing views.

I’ve read a book almost every week for 11 years, covering topics from consumer behaviour to civil rights in Mississippi to 12th century societal epics. Most of my readings have been about society’s functioning or individual behaviour, whose interaction forms the basis for a country’s laws. I also love reading documents which may seem mundane to others- court verdicts, wills and contract documents, inter alia - examining each phrase diligently. Mill’s “On Liberty” taught me the importance of individualism and equal rights subject to a slippery slope, while Bingham’s “The Rule of Law” clarified the law’s extent for me. For three years, I have been reading three dailies, The Hindu, New York Times and Guardian, to stay on top of current affairs and opinions.

I extended my legal interest to school, choosing subjects like Economics and Business Studies to help me understand a country’s socio-economic and political environments. I wrote a paper on international law’s impact on Indian consumers as a part of an economics project, ranking 2nd in grade 11, and finished a project in Business Studies on the Cuban Revolution, for which I read “Episodes of the Cuban Revolutionary War”. Accountancy, however, had the largest impact on me, having opened the doors to the legal side of finance.

In September and October 2013, I interned at MMB Legal, where I managed the post-litigation database, experiencing efficient organisation, workload management and a partnership’s workings. Shadowing a partner gave me exposure to my state’s High Court where I observed legal proceedings, motions and appeals. In June 2012, I attended a Law & Trial program at Stanford University. I learned the basics of litigation through extensive case studies and briefs, visited the Supreme Court of California and participated in mock trials.

My extracurricular interests include playing the guitar, Model United Nations, debates and crisis management events. MUNing and debating gave me broad perspectives on many issues, enhanced my analytical and oratorical skills and equipped me to write subject-specific theses. I won Best Delegate at Harvard MUN India 2013 in the WHO and Best Speaker at Debating Matters India 2012 (South Zone), among other achievements. Working in a team to come up with the best argument thrills me more than anything else. Winning all four crisis management events I participated in taught me to be quick on my feet. I also tutor children at a nearby orphanage in maths, a highly gratifying pursuit.

In the course of my academic and extracurricular endeavours, I’ve learned time management, having balanced a demanding school curriculum with extracurricular activities, voracious reading and external exams. My achievements in relevant fields along with my passion for law make me sure that it is the ideal choice for me, and one that I look forward to making a success of.

• Oxford (M100) - Offer (700 in each section of the SAT Reasoning test, 700 in 3 SAT subject tests tests) - Firm
  • LSE (M100) - Rejection
  • UCL (M100) - Rejection
  • King's College London (M100) - Offer (85%) - Insurance
  • Nottingham (M100) - Offer (90%) - Declining

Note: Since I am an applicant from an Indian broad (CBSE), my offers are on the basis of my SAT scores (in case of Oxford) or final exam percentages (for other unis).

• SAT Reasoning - 2190/2400 (CR - 720/800; M - 770/800; W - 700/800).
  • SAT Literature - 730/800.
  • SAT Maths Level 2 - 800/800.
  • SAT World History - 720/800.