Personal Statement:Law with French 1

When I was two, the first thing that I wanted to be when I grew up was a tiger. I soon realised that this was not to be, and, with equal enthusiasm, then decided that I would like to go into the world of law and government, partially because I love to debate and also because I love a challenge. This aspiration has remained with me to the present day. It has been reinforced by my membership of the Pupil Council, as well as the Scottish Youth Council (Cambuslang and Rutherglen area) over the past year, where I have been able to see how laws really make a difference, and my work experience in November 2006, where I shadowed various solicitors and advocates in Digby Brown, listening to trials and judging mock injury cases using judicial precedents. I am currently undertaking an Open Learning Course in Business Law, which has given me another insight into the Scottish legal system, and I would love to enhance my knowledge of the impact of laws on the society around us by studying it at degree level, progressing eventually, I hope, to Honours.

Particularly of interest to me are the current Public and International law systems, as I find it fascinating to see how different cultures and countries relate to each other, even down to the current clash between the Scottish and UK Parliaments over whether or not Scotland should completely separate from the UK.

My interest in combining the subject with French also stemmed from a young age, as my family has often camped in France during the summer holidays. I have always loved to speak to people who hold a different view of life, and in their own language. As my linguistic abilities have grown – French and English being the only subjects that I have studied constantly throughout my school career – so have my aspirations to sustain improvement. I would love the opportunity provided in the course to go abroad to study for a year and think that I would thrive in a new environment. How do I know this? Last June, for instance, I was selected to attend the Careers Scotland Space School at Edinburgh University. As well as giving me an enjoyable and inspiring taste of university life, the teamwork aspect of this week really enhanced my problem-solving and communication skills, boosting my confidence as I lived and worked with strangers.

I feel confident that I could cope with the independence and demands of university life, as I have always led a very busy life, while still prioritising handing in work of a high standard and on time. In addition to my part-time job, I currently help to lead two children’s clubs (showing commitment and preparation), I am a prefect (which has helped my teamwork and leadership skills), and I help in the nursery department of my school. Additionally, I am currently preparing for the Expedition section of my Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award, having completed all other sections (as well as all other sections of my Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award). Participating in this scheme has also led to my involvement in the "Pink Ladies" charity group, which organises an annual event to raise money for cancer charities and to educate local women about how to minimise the risks of developing cancer; "Body Combat" classes at my local gym; and the "Buddy" programme at my school, an initiative where sixth years are allocated one or two first years to befriend, helping to ease their transition into senior school.

In conclusion, I believe that I am a well-rounded and dedicated student who would thrive in a University environment, both socially and academically. I should value the opportunities provided in your course to enhance my intellectual and personal development.

• Glasgow (Law with French) - Unconditional Offer
  • Glasgow (Politics and French) - Unconditional Offer
  • Glasgow (Psychology and French) - Unconditional Offer
  • Strathclyde (Law with French) - Unconditional Offer
  • Strathclyde (Politics and French) - Unconditional Offer

5As in Highers