Personal Statement:Linguistics 4

From childhood I have been exposed to a whole variety of languages and cultures due to my mixed *country* and *country* heritage. The diversity of languages and the stark differences between cultures, as well as my study of English Language at A Level have given me a passion to study language in increasing detail. Studying Linguistics, and in some cases alongside Sociology, will challenge my preconceptions of language and society and further my knowledge in those areas.

Pursuing my interest beyond the classroom has ensured that my knowledge is not confined to the English language. Reading “The Stuff of Thought”, by Steven Pinker has given me an insight into language as a multi-faceted combinatorial system, rather than a single system with rigid rules that are learnt. The complexity of language intrigues me and the more I read and learn about semantics, phonetics, phonology and the various other disciplines covered by Linguistics, the more I want to understand the intricacies of language. I find the history of and constant change in English fascinating, such as the decline of inflectional morphology and the developments that have occurred since Early English. Events such as the Great Vowel Shift interest me, because through language they can change the pronunciation of a nation and continue to produce new diphthongs even 600 years after the event started.

My first practical application of language took place during a week’s work experience at *law firm name* solicitors where I learnt the importance of phraseology in legal documents and how even a single word misinterpreted causes great difficulties for the client. This legal context showed me how language varies greatly depending on circumstance. Further work experience in a bakery near *town* in *country name* improved both my understanding of cultural differences and my spoken *name of language* . This was also beneficial because whilst delivering bread to locals I encountered a range of socio-economic backgrounds. Family visits to *name of country* have allowed me to see Western languages and culture from a more objective point of view, where I have spent time with relatives who exposed me to the day to day culture of the country as well as teaching me a small amount of *name of foreign language*. This proved to be an eye opening experience. Finally, by volunteering at a local primary school during my school lunch hour for the past two years I have seen how Child Language Acquisition theories hold up in real life as well as having the satisfaction of teaching young children to read and write.

My constant interest in making conclusions about language and society after challenging preconceptions has greatly improved my understanding of how language and society are closely linked. Through studying various healthcare approaches such as the USA’s Pluralistic approach and Cuba’s Socialised approach, I gained an insight into how different political systems can have a direct impact on the lives of each country’s citizens. By taking a pro active interest in the subject I managed to obtain an 140/140 UMS in the Physical and Human Geography AS exam, proving that in the essay questions I am able to convey my own opinions lucidly, supporting them with apt and well-researched evidence.

Aside from academic life, I take a keen interest in playing musical instruments and play *instrument name* in the School Jazz Band. Out of school I have achieved Grade 8 *name of instrument*, while also playing *instrument name* to Grade 6 standard. On the sporting side, I have played rugby for the school since Year 7, for *name of rugby club* since the age of six and continue to play a high standard of rugby. All of these extracurricular activities have taught me valuable time management and team participation as well as enriching my personality.

• University of Leeds (Linguistics & Phonetics) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University of Manchester (Linguistics) - Offer (AAB) Declined
  • University of Sheffield (English Language & Sociology) - Offer (ABB) Insurance
  • University of Newcastle (Linguistics) - Offer (ABB) Declined
  • University of Cardiff (Linguistics) - Offer (AAB or ABB can't really remember) Declined

• General Studies (A2) - Grade A*
  • English Language (A2) - Grade A
  • Geography (A2) - Grade A
  • French (A2) - Grade B
  • English Literature (A2) - B