Personal Statement:Linguistics with French and Italian 1

Since I was young I have travelled extensively with my family, some of my earliest memories are of our holidays, and I believe these holidays abroad led me to have an interest in languages - French and German in particular. I have been studying both French and German since the beginning of my high school education. During high school I participated in a German exchange, where I stayed with a German family for a fortnight, attending school with their daughter. In 2005 I raised the money to travel to Quebec, Canada, where I stayed with a Quebecois family for two weeks - attending a school there. Being submerged in the French language made me more aware of my interest in languages, as well as giving me the aim of becoming fluent in French at least, if not German and Italian too.

I started to study English Language at the beginning of Year Twelve, and immediately took an interest in the subject as a whole, as well as in aspects of it - particularly Child Language Acquisition, and the creation of pidgins and creoles - which I furthered by watching a film called “ The Harder They Come” - which is spoken completely in Jamaican Creole. I am especially interested in studying the differences between Child Language Acquisition of the mother tongue - in comparison to learning second and third languages.

I believe I have many qualities that will help me through university, including good time management, commitment and dedication. Within high school I was an active member of the school community, taking part in a kit-car project known as “Green car” - which involved travelling to races around the country, as well as being interviewed both on local radio, and in the magazine of our sponsor company. I also took part in a “Gifted and Talented” program, which included participation in team-building events, such as film-making and those requiring leadership skills. In my last year of high school I was appointed deputy head girl, as well as receiving an award for community services to the year. At the same time I was undergoing training as a Young Leader in the Scouting Movement - something I have belonged to since the age of 11 - and working with Beaver Scouts on a weekly basis. I recently funded myself to train as a life-guard, and subsequently gained a position at the local swimming pool. I am also a weekly childminder for two children aged six and nine, and have been for over a year now.

A chance to study a joint honours degree in both French and Linguistics would combine both of my educational interests and my personal abilities and interests would help to support me during my time at university. I would also have a view to studying Italian as an extra-curricular activity. Attending university will give me the chance to broaden my horizons and mix with a wide variety of people as well as standing me in good stead for a successful future career. I feel my experience so far will stand me in good stead for my time at university and hope you will consider me for a place.

Universities applied to:

• Lancaster - BBC
  • Essex -BCD - Firm (No insurance)
  • Sussex - BCC
  • York - ABC
  • Manchester - BBC
  • Newcastle - AAB

Grades achieved:

BBC at A-level