Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
  • Personal Statement:Mathematics 35

TSR Wiki > University > Applying to University > Personal Statement Library > Mathematics 35

Contents

Mathematics Personal Statement

Whether manipulating systems of equations or exploring correlation between variables, mathematics gives me a powerful sense of being able to quantify the unknown.

My interest was sparked when I achieved the 'School Science Prize 2006' at Daresbury Laboratory; I found it exciting that fields such as materials science can benefit from the maths behind particle accelerators. Having organised a week of work experience there in computing, I had become intrigued by this special branch of maths. Applying such understanding, a second week in robotics enhanced my knowledge of electricity and physics. I then went on to gain programming experience at Cambridge's computer science Sutton Trust Summer School, where our team used 'Roboc' effectively to simulate a tilting pinball game.

Spurred on by my Extended Project on basic calculus of variations, I committed myself to a four-week paired 'Nuffield bursary' at Liverpool University. We began by exploring cycloidal curves of minimum time and the mechanics of the hyperbolic catenary. Inspired by a lecturer in mathematical biology, I then set out on an ongoing journey into statistics. Investigating disease statics, I started with an SIR model, introduced stochasticism and built a program simulating swine flu epidemics, referring mainly to Anderson and May's 'Infectious Diseases of Humans'. Using LaTeX was rewarding, given its logical presentation and structure. Having investigated Gompertz functions, I found it curious that the exponential function arises throughout mathematical and biological modelling.

As a stalwart of Liverpool University's informal, lecture-based Maths Club, I have arranged to deliver my Nuffield project to its wide-ranging audience. Having the courage to seek the support of older members in Mensa's Special Interest Groups for maths and 'Wissenschaft' for sciences, I have an increasing insight into the academic community. Mirroring university life, I have built an effective framework for eighteen A-level maths units which combines lessons with independent study and research.

For over three years, I have worked with Dr. Ian Porteous, presenting the FunMaths Roadshow throughout the North West. Delivering in English, French and Spanish, I have adapted to addressing students from primary school to sixth form age. Showing my sense of responsibility, I recently represented the association at a teachers' conference at York University. Stemming from Roadshow activities, game theory interests me - particularly how board size and the winner are associated variables in Conway's Valhalla. In the game of chess, I became the British Land 'U16 Supremo' for Cheshire and North Wales in 2008, and have since used interactive skills to help to develop the school chess club.

Time-managing effectively, I recently gained the 'v50' Award for leading the community pantomime band and running weekly Latin lessons. Holding the Junior Sports Leaders' Award, I am interested in the development of others. The Duke of Edinburgh's Award being integral to my life, I believe that I can now reach gold through my teamwork skills and careful organisation. In order to be able to communicate with the wider world, I have kept up French and Spanish beyond GCSE, and continue to teach myself Latin, profiting from its history, literature and logical grammar. Able to communicate with a variety of people, I have worked for three weeks at the 'Warrington Association for Special Children' and have recently volunteered for St. Rocco's Hospice. After achieving a distinction in grade 6 piano, I moved on to music theory and now study for a level 4 diploma. Applying these skills, I play the organ for the parish community and sing bass in the school choir.

Always willing to learn, I offer self-motivation, discipline, and humility. Organised enough to enjoy a busy life, I have the initiative to strive for academic excellence. I aspire to study at a brilliant university, and am greatly optimistic for my mathematical future.

• University of Oxford, Magdalene College (MMath Mathematics with Computer Science) - Rejection
  • Durham University (MSci Natural Sciences) - Rejection
  • Newcastle University (MMathStat Mathematics with Statistics) - Offer
  • University of Warwick (MMORSE Maths, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics) - Offer
  • University of Exeter (MMath Mathematics) - rejection

• Unknown

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

29,087
revision notes

29,365
mindmaps

27,329
crosswords

12,544
quizzes

create
a study planner

thousands
of discussions

New on TSR

How high will tuition fees go?

Students share their thoughts on possible increases

Study resources
Article updates
x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.