Mathematics with philosophy degree personal statement example (1b) Oxford and Bristol offers

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

I am eager to extend my knowledge of both Philosophy and Mathematics. These subjects are in a sense the "purest", respectively, of the Arts and the Sciences as they operate under perfectly logical and inescapably coherent systems which lend them clarity unmatched by subjects constrained by experience. Both subjects offer widely useful intellectual skill sets, and it is partially on account of this potential that I have chosen to pursue them.

Within Mathematics, Core Mathematics is my preferred area: I like to work within the immortal rules of Mathematical logic as opposed to with a model designed for an application (I say "immortal" in agreement with sentiments expressed in Hardy's "A Mathematician's Apology"; mathematical developments are discoveries rather than creations). I have very much enjoyed all three levels of the Maths Challenge throughout my school career, and I have enjoyed exploring Mathematics for a maximum proportion of my lessons through the Sixth Form, developing confidence in all areas of Mathematics I have so far come into contact with.

A lecture on chaotic motion in my Bristol Enrichment inspired me to read into the kinematics of the double pendulum. I relish such opportunities to apply my knowledge in physical situations by deconstructing and abstracting them into Mathematics: from this you will see I am interested in the subject's applications (I especially enjoy Probability and Statistics).

Although I find Mathematics most engaging among my A level subjects, I have certainly enjoyed my learning in Physics - being interested, for example, by the logarithmic techniques for deducing exponential relationships in a simple pendulum or differential equations within Radioactive Decay - and the opportunity to stretch my ability to visualise situations in both the GCSE and AS levels of the BPhO; I earned silver awards in both.

I have always enjoyed analysing the ideas of others and marshalling my own ideas; for this reason I set my sights on Philosophy before making my subject choices for Year 12. From GCSE History I developed an interest in political philosophy which led me to learn more about Marx's life and ideology. While I have never been formally taught Philosophy, I have read Blackburn's "Think", Gaardner's "Sophie's World", Plato's "Protagoras", Glover's "Causing Death and Saving Lives" and Hodges' "Logic" - these books have given me an understanding of the history and the nature of the subject, reaffirming my decision to develop my understanding.

Through studying English Literature, I have been glad of the opportunity to enjoy looking in detail at some excellent books and enrich a lifelong hobby of reading - "1984" and "Alice in Wonderland" remain favourites. I have revised my essay technique substantially and therefore am now a much stronger writer in timed conditions.

Throughout my academic career I have sought opportunities to extend my understanding of Mathematics: my weekly STEP lessons have been an excellent opportunity for me to push my capabilities to heights elsewhere untested. I have touched upon areas of Pure Mathematics, such as modular arithmetic, which led me to further investigate Number Theory. Furthermore, I have been impressed by the mathematical efficiency of formal logic and have hence taught myself a little notation; I can test the validity of arguments with analytical tableaux.

While completing my Extended Project, which tracked the philosophical history of the Mind-Body Problem, I have been impressed by Hegel's portrayal of thinkers as products of their time, either syntheses or antitheses in the progression of the World Spirit. This project was primarily an opportunity to refine my skills in constructing an argument on a larger scale than I had attempted before, but it was also very interesting to explore conflicting philosophical stances and thus try to understand the full complexity of each. I look forward to further intellectual challenges within this degree course.

• The University of Nottingham (GV15) - Conditional (AAA) Declined
  • University of Bristol (GV15) - Conditional (AAA) Insurance
  • The University of Warwick (GV15) - Conditional (A*A*A) Declined
  • Oxford University (G100) - Conditional (A*A*A) Firm
  • King's College London (GV15) - Conditional (AAA) Declined

• Mathematics A2 - A*
  • Further Mathematics As - A (A2 untaken)
  • English Literature As - A (A2 untaken)
  • Physics As - A (A2 untaken)
  • General Studies As - A

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide