Mathematics with philosophy degree personal statement example (1a)

I have always believed that logical thinking and rational argument should be the basis on which we live our lives; perhaps this is why I have found great joy in studying both mathematics and philosophy. One reason I find the subjects so fascinating is that for maths there is always a right answer, but in Philosophy you can explore a variety of ‘right’ answers. For me, the methodical process and use of logic proves there is a strong link between the two.

The work on philosophy I have done at school has taken me through such ideas as the Teleological argument, the Cosmological argument, Leibniz’s Principle of Sufficient Reason, the works of Swinburne and looking at the issues with the Problem of Evil, in particular Irenaeus’ theodicy as it was an idea that certainly made me think about the defense of religious beliefs and alternative arguments. However, the philosophy I have studied already has been part of my Religious Studies AS and has focused on philosophical ideas built on a religious theme; I am therefore greatly looking forward to learning a wider range of philosophical theories, such as exploring Greek philosophy and the works of Plato and Aristotle.

Additionally, I am eager to learn new ideas and mathematical methods and am constantly reading ahead of the class so I can be prepared for the next topic. I love the sense of accomplishment when I answer a maths question correctly; I find it very rewarding to work through a tough question to come to the right solution.

One of my favorite topics is Probability, as it helps to find the most likely solution to a problem, which links to other philosophical ideas such as Occam’s razor, which boils down to the conclusion that the most probable answer is probably the correct one. I am greatly looking forward to degree level maths as I am keen to not only learn methods, but to explore the creation of new ones, discovering new methods of maths and looking at maths in different ways in order to solve a problem.

Outside the course, I am taking History and ICT. The former has given me great experience in reading texts and extracting useful information from documents. It has also given me good practise at writing essays and articles, as well as helping me notice trends. The ICT course has given me experience of programming and researching software as well as using functions and processes within databases and spreadsheet documents.

I have watched many documentaries on philosophers and philosophical ideas such as Descartes and ‘Cogito Ergo Sum’ among others, as well as watching lectures on the Philosophy of Maths and advanced mathematical methods, such as advanced calculus. Also I am currently reading the best seller Sophie’s World which I am really enjoying reading, it is giving me a great overview of Philosophical ideas over the last 3000 years.

In my free time, I enjoy cycling, swimming and playing football for my local team, for which I have been a regular for the last ten years. I have also enjoyed taking part in local scouting activities in the past. This is one of the reasons why I have taken part in voluntary work with my local scout group, combining my love of working outdoors with working children.

This involved leading and organising events as well as developing my interactive skills with children. This is one of the main reasons why I would consider teaching as a profession after full time education, but there are a number of other professions I would consider. Going to University is something I have been looking forward to for some time but I have struggled to pin down exactly what I want to do later in life.

After much consideration I am certain I have found the two subjects about which I am most passionate. This is why I hope to be able to study Mathematics and Philosophy further at University, not only to help me develop as a person and help me find the profession I should ultimately take on, but to give me a better insight into the world in which we live.

• Lancaster University (GV15) - Offer (AAB with A in Maths) Firm
  • Lancaster University (V500) - Offer (ABB) Insurance
  • York University (GV15) - Offer (AAB with A in Maths)
  • Liverpool University (GV15) - Offer (ABB)
  • Essex University (V500) - Offer (ABB)

• Maths (AS/A2) - A
  • IT (AS/A2) - A
  • Religious Studies (AS/A2) - B

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide