Personal Statement:Medicine 104

Medicine Personal Statement

Growing up alongside a neighbour's daughter of the same age who suffers with cerebral palsy and epilepsy first opened my mind to the complexities of the human body; its resilience, but also its vulnerabilities. It was not until I was older however that I realised the enormity of the challenges that the on-going medical requirements had on her and those around her, and the impact I could make by just being a supportive and empathetic friend. This, coupled with seeing the skill and compassion of the doctors and nurses who treated her, reinforced in me the wish to enter a profession where I could make a difference at a personal level.

Having witnessed first-hand that it is not always possible for doctors to 'cure' a patient, I was interested to learn more about the research work that is required when devising new treatments and learning about new diseases. This led me to seek out work experience at the National Institute of Medical Research where I spent a week in the Genetics and Development division. During my time there I learnt a few of the techniques that are used in research and by the end of the week I was working as part of the team to conduct experiments myself. I was amazed to discover how these methods were used in hospitals too, where a Polymerase Chain Reaction may be used to diagnose a malignant tumour and RNA F.I.S.H. may be used in the diagnosis of aneuploidies such as Prader-Willi Syndrome or Angelman Syndrome. I love the idea of building a career as a doctor where research will be constantly bringing new ideas and providing me with the opportunity for lifelong learning.

Observing the doctors interact with different patients during my work experience at a GP surgery made me realise what a great range of skills are needed in addition to medical knowledge. What particularly interested me were the different approaches required by doctors to ensure that varying levels of understanding and co-operation were met. By choosing the correct approach the doctor was able to allay fears, calm hostile patients and provide clear information that meant the patients left their consultations content. I have applied the skills I learnt there to my weekly visits at a local hospice where my ability to communicate, with empathy and understanding, has allowed me to build rewarding relationships with patients and their families.

By volunteering at my local Guides I often find myself devising and running activities which enable me to both work within a team, and challenge my leadership skills. These are important qualities for a doctor who needs to interact with other healthcare professionals and patients. My role as a maths and science mentor has helped me to develop my patience and communication skills as I often have to approach problems from a different viewpoint in order to reach that rewarding 'light bulb' moment from my students. I believe this ability to take difficult concepts and communicate them with clarity is crucial for a good doctor. Elsewhere in school, my position as Chemistry Officer has allowed me to contribute to our science department, and I have initiated the introduction of a club allowing students looking to pursue a medical career to debate current healthcare issues.

I also enjoy a wide range of extracurricular activities with my particular passion being for music. I play the clarinet in both my school orchestra and at a local music centre. I have found the teamwork and commitment involved very rewarding and love the social aspect provided. My music gives me an outlet for the stresses and demands of my studies and is something I look forward to continuing with at university.

My work experience and research into medicine have confirmed my ambition to enter this challenging profession and allowed me to increase my skills in communication, leadership and teamwork, all vital for a good doctor. I look forward to developing these skills further throughout medical school and later on in my medical career.

• Sheffield (Medicine A100) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • St George's University London (Medicine A100) - Offer (AAAb) Insurance
  • Nottingham (Medicine A100) - Offer (AAA) Declined
  • Brighton and Sussex Medical School (Medicine A100) - Rejection
  • University College London (Biomedical Sciences B990) - Offer (AAB) Declined

• Biology (AS = A) / (A2 = A*)
  • Chemistry (AS = B) / (A2 = A)
  • RS (AS = A) / (A2 = A)
  • Maths (AS = A) / (A2 = B)
  • Physics (AS = B) / (A2 = Dropped)