Personal Statement:Medicine 22

Medicine Personal Statement

Having thoroughly enjoyed the academic study of biology, chemistry and mathematics, I have chosen a degree course that will enable me to combine scientific innovations with a practical application.

I have worked as a secretary in an employment agency, which specialises in recruiting nurses and carers. Here I gained the skill of responsibility and being able to work under pressure.I also gained some communication skills, which I believe will prove useful in my chosen degree.Aiming to expand on my knowledge and to further my understanding of hospital life, I have taken up work experience at a hospital,which by the end of it, I hope to have developed skills valuable and helpful to me for this particular profession

In my time at secondary school, I had the privilege of being elected not only as a class prefect but also a school prefect in my final year

with this opportunity, I gained some leadership skills and the spirit of working as a team with my colleagues and I believe this will help me in my future career as a doctor since team spirit is an essential requirement in medicine

I have endeavoured to learn more about medicine by reading around medical related journals from scientific journals such as biological science review. My other interests outside of school lie in my religious activities pertaining to my faith and in sports. As a Christian, I spend time reading my bible and getting involved in activities that goes on in my church. Being a Christian has made me develop a compassion that I believe will help me appreciate the general holistic view of patient's care, and the satisfaction of accepting medicine as a vocation of care and sacrifice. As medicine is a profession that requires the ability to serve with total dedication, I feel that my faith has enabled me to acquire this skill.Sports has been particularly important to me as it has provided me with the opportunity to work with a diverse range of people, be self-discipline and self- motivated to do better and be better. I enjoy playing football, golf, cricket, tennis and table tennis. While at secondary school, I represented my school in athletics (high jump). I competed against schools from the borough and came 4th. In table tennis, I was among 4 boys picked to represent my school in a tournament, where I reached the quaterfinals. I intend to take full advantage of the university facilities to continue my interests particularly in table tennis and tennis

I have learned to be organised, and to maintain a high standard in whatever I do pertaining to my studies. Therefore, I feel that I am in a position to cope with the demands of medicine and university life and I am looking forward to fulfilling my career aspirations of becoming a doctor